Skimming ceiling Q's.

G'day chaps.

I've got a quote (£130 each) for my two boarded ceilings to be skimmed. Seems good to me. I was told getting hold of the plaster is the tricky bit right now tho: assuming I have to get it, how do I determine how much to order? both 3.8m x 4m.

Also, is the term to "skim" different from "plastering" a ceiling? or is 'to skim' just an abreviation (& they're exactly the same process) ?

cheers zH.

Skim is short for skim coat plastering, which is a 2-3mm covering, where plastering can refer to an 8-15mm two coat surface covering.

Let the plasterer get his own product - some like board finish, others multi finish.

21 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Skim is short for skim coat plastering, which is a 2-3mm covering, where plastering can refer to an 8-15mm two coat surface covering.

Let the plasterer get his own product - some like board finish, others multi finish.

Ok understood. So skim is the 'quick/ cheaper' way of finishing my ceiling then. Just needed confirmation/ assumed so.

My builder chap (who'll get two younger guys to do it), seemed to suggest me getting the stuff you see. IE £260 + plaster (& bloody hard to source too now he said). I don't mind trawling if it means getting the job done soon, not waiting 7 weeks if they get the stuff you see.

Not my regular extention builder this chap, but a smaller/ decent local guy Ive met before.

1 hour ago, zoothorn said:

G'day chaps.

I've got a quote (£130 each) for my two boarded ceilings to be skimmed. Seems good to me. I was told getting hold of the plaster is the tricky bit right now tho: assuming I have to get it, how do I determine how much to order? both 3.8m x 4m.

Also, is the term to "skim" different from "plastering" a ceiling? or is 'to skim' just an abreviation (& they're exactly the same process) ?

cheers zH.

Two pair ceiling will be plenty 

Most of the merchants have it but are restricting none Account holder to 5 So you should be ok 

Half a day for one man 

2 hours ago, zoothorn said:

... I've got a quote (£130 each) for my two boarded ceilings to be skimmed

In comparison to round here, for a 4 by 4 ceiling you have a bargain.

It may well be more efficient for you to ask the plasterer to source the plaster because - round here anyway - shops and BMs are keeping plaster for their large volume customers - plasterers

5 hours ago, PeterW said:

You’ll need about 4-5 bags (isn’t one ceiling sloping though ..??) so just ask the merchant what they have got and a price. 

Ok so 5 bags. One ceiling yes has a 2ft side slope area/ collar whatnot, which (I get what you're saying) will need a bit more faff & plaster.

Thanks.

4 hours ago, ToughButterCup said:

In comparison to round here, for a 4 by 4 ceiling you have a bargain.

It may well be more efficient for you to ask the plasterer to source the plaster because - round here anyway - shops and BMs are keeping plaster for their large volume customers - plasterers

Hi T-B-Cup

I'm sure so.. its rural wild west wales compared to SE england.

It might be more efficient, but if I source it & say 'I have it ready'.. it spurs the job on: otherwise it'll likely get shoved down their list.

Plus I'm fairly sure me sourcing it, was the suggestion: it was a 5min look/ quote situation.. but I need to grab the opprtunity by buying it ready for them to do, I'm sure, especially before wales unlocks & they're deluged with work.

4 hours ago, nod said:

Two pair ceiling will be plenty 

Most of the merchants have it but are restricting none Account holder to 5 So you should be ok 

Half a day for one man 

Hi nod- so is it just 'plaster' I need.. anything more specific? I have accounts at jewson & TP, so once I know what I need I can crack on & source it. fingers x'd.

I got wallboard in 1 week, altho the dearer soundbloc stuff available only/ all else gone.

1 hour ago, zoothorn said:

Hi nod- so is it just 'plaster' I need.. anything more specific? I have accounts at jewson & TP, so once I know what I need I can crack on & source it. fingers x'd.

I got wallboard in 1 week, altho the dearer soundbloc stuff available only/ all else gone.

Hi Zoot

yep 4 bags of Board finish OR multi finish Which ever they have in One roll of fibre tape also 

12 hours ago, nod said:

Hi Zoot

yep 4 bags of Board finish OR multi finish Which ever they have in One roll of fibre tape also 

Ok thanks will source on monday.

The fibre tape you mention: is this for use on the ceiling? &, the same I'd use on my taper-edge boarded walls? (the ceiling is taper-edge boards.. but I think no issue for a 'skimmer' compared to std board edges.

I see this stuff.. alarmingly orange: https://www.toolstation.com/gyproc-fibatape-xtreme-plasterboard-joint-tape/p58759?store=KC&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googleshoppingfeed&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpPjg1oT96QIVA7DtCh2GngP-EAQYAiABEgIud_D_BwE#reviewTab

33 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Ok thanks will source on monday.

The fibre tape you mention: is this for use on the ceiling? &, the same I'd use on my taper-edge boarded walls? (the ceiling is taper-edge boards.. but I think no issue for a 'skimmer' compared to std board edges.

I see this stuff.. alarmingly orange: https://www.toolstation.com/gyproc-fibatape-xtreme-plasterboard-joint-tape/p58759?store=KC&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googleshoppingfeed&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpPjg1oT96QIVA7DtCh2GngP-EAQYAiABEgIud_D_BwE#reviewTab

It is

3 minutes ago, nod said:

It is

Ok. Understood. Now/ so what's the deal I wonder.

Is it used -only- because I have taper-edge ceiling boards-?

or, is it used on all types of ceiling boards?

if so should the builder have taped the boards he did, having boarded my ceiling (straight edge upstairs)?

is it something I expect the "skimmer" to provide?

Alot of implications from two words.. as seems always to be the case trying to understand/ doing the exhaustive prep for any building work job.

35 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Ok. Understood. Now/ so what's the deal I wonder.

Is it used -only- because I have taper-edge ceiling boards-?

or, is it used on all types of ceiling boards?

if so should the builder have taped the boards he did, having boarded my ceiling (straight edge upstairs)?

is it something I expect the "skimmer" to provide?

Alot of implications from two words.. as seems always to be the case trying to understand/ doing the exhaustive prep for any building work job.

The skinner will tape the boards prior to skimming 

All pb joints are taped 

55 minutes ago, nod said:

The skinner will tape the boards prior to skimming 

All pb joints are taped 

Aha ok got it. I didn't know all pB joints were taped, thought just TE's.

Ok will get some orange stuff.. I guess do my TE board walls with it 1st if its 90 flippin metres.

While you're there nod: after tape, what stuff would you suggest I use to fill my wall taper edges? I don't have a mix thingy so ready-made maybe.. if it exists.

Thanks- zoot.

On 13/06/2020 at 14:07, nod said:

If your taping the joints Then joint filler one coat Then two coats of joint cement Normally left to dry for three days before sanding 

Ok thanks. Is the idea here to use a bag of powder, & mix it? or for my 2 rooms (smallish extention: so only 6 walls = 25 seams to fill).. is it better to think of a ready-mix tub? I don't have a mixer thing that goes on a drill driver.

Is there not one product that can do both "joint filler" and "joint cement" ?

I don't really want 3/4 of a heavy bag to have to bin. Ive no idea what sort of volume of X I will need.

@nod I mean I was wondering if there's any reason I can't just use this.. if I only need a 'decent' finish & not neccessarily needing a 'super-pro-finish'. It surely would save some money..

https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-ready-mixed-plaster-white-10kg/23226?tc=AA4&ds_kid=92700052136022990&ds_rl=1249407&ds_rl=1241687&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1245250&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpJHI0tGD6gIVVeDtCh0sGAO8EAQYAyABEgLN1vD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

4 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

@nod I mean I was wondering if there's any reason I can't just use this.. if I only need a 'decent' finish & not neccessarily needing a 'super-pro-finish'. It surely would save some money..

https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-ready-mixed-plaster-white-10kg/23226?tc=AA4&ds_kid=92700052136022990&ds_rl=1249407&ds_rl=1241687&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1245250&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpJHI0tGD6gIVVeDtCh0sGAO8EAQYAyABEgLN1vD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Yes this is fine

The no-nonsense plaster's fine/ decent stuff it seems. Few probs to sort I need advice on.

The studs where the pB taper edges sit, are often 5mm proud of each other.. so I have a taper-edge join offset to fill: problem is once fibre taped & filled (1st fill) the pB 'trench' near-enough flat.. I can see the fibre tape showing thru/ on the surface, all the way up the pB join.

If I now fill my 2nd coat 2mm or so ontop > then sand I'll innevitably start hitting the tape.