Handless Painted Doors

Having purchased a bath which was one of my particular obsessions, we are looking into kitchens and we really like the handless kitchens but I'm not particularly fussed on the J style ones and these are the only type I can see on DIY Kitchens.

DIY kitchens appealed due to the fact you could custom colour the doors (using any Farrow and Ball colour or alternative). Any other kitchen within similar pricing of DIY kitchens doesn't have the ability to custom colour doors and we can't find a colour we like.

Couple of questions:

1. Does anyone have any suggestions of somewhere that allows you to customise door colours at a reasonable cost?

2. Are painted doors and handlesss a recipe for disaster in terms of fingerprints etc?

I'm planning on getting an ikea kitchen (fitted on in our last house, very happy) and making my own ply doors etc (simple enough with a good table saw setup) and then getting them painted. It won't work out any cheaper than IKEA fronts, but we get the exact colour we want.

• Thanks 1

Numerous suppliers will custom paint doors for your but if you want a good true handleless kitchen then European and particularly German is the way to go. There is a cost to handleless doors but most good manufacturers will offer you the option of any RAL or NCS colour.

Farrow & Ball etc is not a colour standard so only British manufacturers will offer a colour matching service on these but you will undeniably get a better product at a better price for a German manufacturer.

5 minutes ago, ryder72 said:

Numerous suppliers will custom paint doors for your but if you want a good true handleless kitchen then European and particularly German is the way to go. There is a cost to handleless doors but most good manufacturers will offer you the option of any RAL or NCS colour.

Farrow & Ball etc is not a colour standard so only British manufacturers will offer a colour matching service on these but you will undeniably get a better product at a better price for a German manufacturer.

It doesn't have to be Farrow and Ball just the ability to either customise or have a larger ranger of colours than normal. Do you have any suggestions of which German manufacturers to consider?

12 minutes ago, canalsiderenovation said:

It doesn't have to be Farrow and Ball just the ability to either customise or have a larger ranger of colours than normal. Do you have any suggestions of which German manufacturers to consider?

We deal in Leicht and they offer this service. Other brands I know offering custom painted options are Beckermann, Ballerina, Eggersmann but this is by no means comprehensive. As a guideline, the mid-upmarket German manufacturers will offer this. Anything entry level wont.

6 minutes ago, ryder72 said:

We deal in Leicht and they offer this service. Other brands I know offering custom painted options are Beckermann, Ballerina, Eggersmann but this is by no means comprehensive. As a guideline, the mid-upmarket German manufacturers will offer this. Anything entry level wont.

Thanks @ryder72 off the top of your head any idea who are the cheapest?

@canalsiderenovation do you actually mean "handleless" as in no handle,  or "handless" as in nudge it with your knee? Not sure if it makes a difference. 

(Then you added an extra s to give "handlesss" and I started thinking of Gollum xD.)

1 - I think if you paint as a separate process *anywhere* can mix it now. Years ago (2012) the local Johnstone's trade paint centre mixed me a paint on the spot from a Farrow and Ball colour ("panel white") just by phoning up HQ and asking for the spec.

2 - I think you could avoid fingerprints by choice of material and perhaps colour (dark colour?) or by fitting a fingerplate of some sort (which might wreck the streamlined look, unless you went for eg glass fingerplates), otherwise it will just be a small extra cleaning job once a month or so. The wrong material (door or  fingerplate) could cause problems; I'm sure I remember a few whinges over small boys' fingerprints on the stainless steel finish on De Loreans.

Ferdinand

1 hour ago, Ferdinand said:

@canalsiderenovation do you actually mean "handleless" as in no handle,  or "handless" as in nudge it with your knee? Not sure if it makes a difference. 

(Then you added an extra s to give "handlesss" and I started thinking of Gollum xD.)

1 - I think if you paint as a separate process *anywhere* can mix it now. Years ago (2012) the local Johnstone's trade paint centre mixed me a paint on the spot from a Farrow and Ball colour ("panel white") just by phoning up HQ and asking for the spec.

2 - I think you could avoid fingerprints by choice of material and perhaps colour (dark colour?) or by fitting a fingerplate of some sort (which might wreck the streamlined look, unless you went for eg glass fingerplates), otherwise it will just be a small extra cleaning job once a month or so. The wrong material (door or  fingerplate) could cause problems; I'm sure I remember a few whinges over small boys' fingerprints on the stainless steel finish on De Loreans.

Ferdinand

Oh I've had a new phone ? didn't even notice the typos my precious ?