PIR (insulation) shortage

jayroc2k

My PIR was all seconds, although none of this was insulated PB. A few boards were only 40mm, the vast majority were bang on 50mm though. I can get away with it because I am battening out a service void, but if using PB directly on top of the PIR I don't think you could guarantee an acceptable finish, unfortunately.

We had to ditch most of the PiR  seconds we got - there were about 5 different types of board and countless thicknesses for our nearly flat roof.  Would never use again for anything where it was contributing to a surface that had to be flat.  

My local builders merchant told me that the delay on sheet insualation was due to a fire at a main plant in Germany,  not sure if this is the case but all the local bm are short at the moment. 

I don't think it made the news in the UK...  

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-10-17/basf-reports-explosion-at-its-biggest-site-in-ludwigshafen

BASF Faces Prolonged Shut-Down After Chemical Site Explosion

BASF SE faces a prolonged shut-down of production units at a chemical site in Germany, the largest of its kind in Europe, where a deadly explosion and fire killed two employees and injured dozens.

The German manufacturer said two steam crackers at the installation remain halted and another 20 facilities are either stopped or only partially working, according to a statement Tuesday. Crackers are the starting point for producing basic chemicals that go into everything from insulation materials to solvents.