Telescopic vents in a garage slab???

Afternoon,

My TA has drawn telescopic air vents in my garage slab. I've asked him if this is correct but can't get a reply. So for the life of me I can't understand why they're there and what they're venting?

Garage vents.jpg

3 hours ago, Alphonsox said:

Interesting - What's the floor structure?

According to the drawings from the TA and SE, the base layer is 50mm blinding on top of 150mm type1 - so can't see why that would need to be vented................

21 minutes ago, Brickie said:

Don't know much about CAD but I'd guess he's copy & pasted from a beam & block floor detail & altered it to show your solid floor. 

No reason I know of to have it in your design. 

That makes more sense and probably the case. Such a shame in weeks he can't answer it though :(

Unless anyone can think of a reason, I will take it as a mistake but which with BC too

I think that is a radon sump and will definately need venting. You need to check what will form the void (i would assume a large diameter granular material) as the slab is ground bearing. Is the garage attached to the house or detached?

I would check that as a radon barrier is indicated on this drawing and the one on the other thread with your ICF to foundation detail. Sometimes radon can be extremely localised, i have developments of 100+ houses where perhaps only 1 or 2 require radon protection. Requirement for this will normally be confirmed in your site investigation/soil sampling report.

Which is exactly where it should be but because the floor is ground bearing and has no sub floor void then you need to create one in the form of a sump which can then be vented to avoid a dangerous build up of gas in the floor below. To me the drawing looks absolutely correct however as mentioned before you just need to check exactly how and out of what the sump is to be formed.

14 hours ago, MrP said:

Which is exactly where it should be but because the floor is ground bearing and has no sub floor void then you need to create one in the form of a sump which can then be vented to avoid a dangerous build up of gas in the floor below. To me the drawing looks absolutely correct however as mentioned before you just need to check exactly how and out of what the sump is to be formed.

Would that be from BC?