How cunning is this plan then ?

There wuz I, a' diggin' this 'trench - by hand - so I got to know it quite well.  The dogs, the cat, the chickens all came to review progress, and comment on progress. Hot, sweaty work: deep enough to be eye-level with the chickens. Why they even picked off the baked beans stuck to my T shirt.

It hurt - a bit. But they were kindness itself really.

I blame too many totally knackered suppers, slob-like, slumped in front of the TV.

The hot weather lulled me into false security. Hadn't thought much about rain. Until yesterday. See, the guttering discharges a hundred mm from the trench. Talk about a laxative moment. Visions of a one meter deep swimming pool.

But then I had a thought.....

This is the trench

20200430_092539.thumb.jpg.2f16857461e70fc92a679f15174fba79.jpg

How useful is a spare bit of gutter to re-direct the flow from the downpipe? ?

Half way down the trench  (red elipse)  is the land drainage piping that's supposed to stop ground heave in ice-cold weather. That pipe takes the water flow down to a spot in the garden about 10 meters away and about 2 meters lower than the slab. From there it drains into a pond.

Can I  just duct the rainwater from the roof into that pipe?

• Haha 1

I would plug your drain pipe at the lowest IC and then fill it with water.  A water filled pipe won't float.  An EMPTY pipe will. That is what you don't want to happen.

If you have any rocks, or spare concrete blocks kicking about, lay as many as you can on top of the currently exposed run of drain as further measures to prevent it floating should the tench fill with water.

Get those pictures off to BC and get the trench refilled ASAP.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AnonymousBosch said:

Joe we have a soakaway planned.

My alternative suggestion is exactly the same really: this time it soaks away into a different system which is designed to do the same thing.....

in that case crack on. During talks with our BI he mentioned a soakaway and I said “you mean a swimming pool”, when he looked at me sideways I explained that we were on solid yellow clay and any hole I dig will fill with water instantly, and stay there!, I told him I wanted to run it straight to the ditch that the treatment plant was draining too, he said “crack on”. No suds as it don’t work here.

2 hours ago, AnonymousBosch said:

There wuz I, a' diggin' this 'trench - by hand - so I got to know it quite well.  The dogs, the cat, the chickens all came to review progress, and comment on progress. Hot, sweaty work: deep enough to be eye-level with the chickens. Why they even picked off the baked beans stuck to my T shirt.

It hurt - a bit. But they were kindness itself really.

I blame too many totally knackered suppers, slob-like, slumped in front of the TV.

The hot weather lulled me into false security. Hadn't thought much about rain. Until yesterday. See, the guttering discharges a hundred mm from the trench. Talk about a laxative moment. Visions of a one meter deep swimming pool.

But then I had a thought.....

This is the trench

20200430_092539.thumb.jpg.2f16857461e70fc92a679f15174fba79.jpg

How useful is a spare bit of gutter to re-direct the flow from the downpipe? ?

Half way down the trench  (red elipse)  is the land drainage piping that's supposed to stop ground heave in ice-cold weather. That pipe takes the water flow down to a spot in the garden about 10 meters away and about 2 meters lower than the slab. From there it drains into a pond.

Can I  just duct the rainwater from the roof into that pipe?

Where does the land drain connect to ..?? Does it go to a solid pipe then to the pond ..? Only issue will be ground saturation when the pipe fills with water during a storm in a dry spell. 

Which direction does the pipe flow..?