Is this existing render or masonry paint?

So I'm trying to work out if we already have existing render (we will be krendering the whole existing and new extension) and if it needs taking off but to me this doesn't look like render rather just a sort of thick masonry textured paint. You can see the bricks under it.

Anyone know? 

IMG_20200421_145324.jpg

IMG_20200421_145308.jpg

Edited by canalsiderenovation

It almost looks like a cement wash has been painted onto it. Try chipping a little away.

If it is paint and it is sound you can render over it. Google Blue Grit.

The guy who rendered our extension was talking to me about it and he has been rendering over sound paint surfaces for decades. He used to make his own version of blue grit with a exterior grade PVA and sharp sand to apply over paint after a good jet-wash and dry. 

Edited by Carrerahill

15 minutes ago, Carrerahill said:

It almost looks like a cement wash has been painted onto it. Try chipping a little away.

If it is paint and it is sound you can render over it. Google Blue Grit.

The guy who rendered our extension was talking to me about it and he has been rendering over sound paint surfaces for decades. He used to make his own version of blue grit with a exterior grade PVA and sharp sand to apply over paint after a good jet-wash and dry. 

I tried chipping some off. It's impossible! I'll have another go.

If you want to render over it you will need to key it Grind the joints out Or mesh the whole area 

Unibond etc is bit outdated for any area that is open to the elements