All things Batten or not....

Currently I'm trying to nail down (pun intended) some of my choices while we are for planning permission on our design. 

Rural property in Scotland (so it's wet and windy), which will be SIPS or TF. It will most likely be some from of slate effect concrete tile, like marley edgemere or something or similar mainly due to cost considerations (See more below). 

I had done a lot of reading and made some notes to ensure the build up detail was correct and had marked down to allow for counterbattens and then battens so as to let water drain etc. Which made perfect sense and seems to be a logical choice. This was until 2 days ago when i came across this blog entry by @Thedreamer

which has no battens and the slates go directly into the sarking. Which has completely confused me now. 

So back to the point of this thread....when to use battens/ counterbattens / and when you need to?? 

As a side note - I found the above thread when searching about Cupa 3 heavy slates as I would like a slate roof - but from quick searches over the past few months it seems as though it's considerably more expensive. But I am struggling to quantify this at the moment as I  can't seem to find the right info while searching - so if anyone has any good links to notable thread or has previously done a cost comparison then that would be much appreciated also. 

thanks

It is quite traditional in Scotland to slate directly onto sarking, I've only ever done this on a cold roof setup.

I'd have though the battens and counterbattens are essential if you need some kind of ventilation above the sarking (typical with a warm roof setup) which is what we have.

14 minutes ago, jamieled said:

It is quite traditional in Scotland to slate directly onto sarking, I've only ever done this on a cold roof setup.

I'd have though the battens and counterbattens are essential if you need some kind of ventilation above the sarking (typical with a warm roof setup) which is what we have.

@jamieled thanks, 

I just found this on a UK SIPS website which confuses things even more..

image.png.3e2edafb3954b0d2bf72d2d57de559fa.png

Full pdf attached for reference. 

TB5_Durability.pdf

the thing you will need to decide whether sips or tf, then if tf, the construction method. i'm building tf though i beam and will need to batten the roof for slate. if normal tf then sark it and slate onto it, with membrane of course.

7 hours ago, SuperJohnG said:

Currently I'm trying to nail down (pun intended) some of my choices while we are for planning permission on our design. 

Rural property in Scotland (so it's wet and windy), which will be SIPS or TF. It will most likely be some from of slate effect concrete tile, like marley edgemere or something or similar mainly due to cost considerations (See more below). 

I had done a lot of reading and made some notes to ensure the build up detail was correct and had marked down to allow for counterbattens and then battens so as to let water drain etc. Which made perfect sense and seems to be a logical choice. This was until 2 days ago when i came across this blog entry by @Thedreamer

which has no battens and the slates go directly into the sarking. Which has completely confused me now. 

So back to the point of this thread....when to use battens/ counterbattens / and when you need to?? 

As a side note - I found the above thread when searching about Cupa 3 heavy slates as I would like a slate roof - but from quick searches over the past few months it seems as though it's considerably more expensive. But I am struggling to quantify this at the moment as I  can't seem to find the right info while searching - so if anyone has any good links to notable thread or has previously done a cost comparison then that would be much appreciated also. 

thanks

As others have said if building a cold roof, then slates onto membrane and then sarking is fine. That's the traditional method.

For ventilation obviously a breathable membrane, the other point is that being in a windy location the natural profile of the slates will allow air to go under to provide ventilation. 

If it helps I paid £1.05+VAT per slate 40 x 25cms

Edited by Thedreamer