Underground location of waste pipe

tony1975

Hi, looking for some help to locate the waste pipe that comes from the toilet, downstairs, to the outside of the house, as want to get rid of that toilet, and put a toilet upstairs, with bathroom, i have dug hole, as show in the pictures, but the pipe is not visible. thanks to anybody who can help.  

hole.jpg

drain1.jpg

drain 2.jpg

Did you pop the lid on that manhole cover to see if it's coming in straight or at an angle??

If you can get some one to tap the pipe at the toilet with you holding your hand on the dug out section you might feel some vibrations.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Declan52 said:

Did you pop the lid on that manhole cover to see if it's coming in straight or at an angle??

If you can get some one to tap the pipe at the toilet with you holding your hand on the dug out section you might feel some vibrations.

I did take the lid off, the water flows towards my next door neighbours house, as when we pull the flush, we cannot see any water flow through any of the drains, but can hear it. 

drain 3.jpg

drain1.jpg

4 hours ago, Jeremy Harris said:

Popping the inspection cover will also give you an idea of the invert, which in turn will give a good feel for how deep the pipe is.  Could be a fair way down.

Hi, thanks, opening the drain cover, and looking at how deep the hole is, the hole is not as deep as the manhole is, i spoke to a guy who said it should be just below the service?  this may explain why it's not been found, i just really need to make sure that the pipe is where i'm digging, as it stands now, to dig any deeper would mean removing more of the path, more work, which is ok, long as the pipe is in the place i'm digging, my reason for posting really.

18 minutes ago, tony1975 said:

when we pull the flush, we cannot see any water flow through any of the drains, but can hear it. 

That doesn’t make sense ....

You are flushing the toilet but it’s not coming through that manhole ..? If that is the case, you have a good chance there is a further pipe running at 45 degrees to the house and joining further along. 

My guess would be that could well be a rainwater sewer and if you pour a bucket down the gully that your red line goes through it will come down that pipe. Can’t connect a toilet to that. 

• Thanks 1

There seems to be two inspection covers in the photo.  I wonder if the loo is connecting further down to the second one?

Might explain why you can hear it but not see it.

It also looks as if the invert is a lot deeper than the hole you've dug, so the chances are that the pipe will be a fair way down.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Jeremy Harris said:

There seems to be two inspection covers in the photo.  I wonder if the loo is connecting further down to the second one?

Might explain why you can hear it but not see it.

It also looks as if the invert is a lot deeper than the hole you've dug, so the chances are that the pipe will be a fair way down.

Yes there are two covers, i have opened both and pulled the flush, and we see no water come through any of them? but on the first one, we hear the sound of water, and thinks we're going to see it, but it doesn't appear, i poured water down that manhole, and the water runs towards my neighbours house, so maybe that's the reason, only thing i can do is, go next door, ask if i can see it come through there. 

32 minutes ago, PeterW said:

That doesn’t make sense ....

You are flushing the toilet but it’s not coming through that manhole ..? If that is the case, you have a good chance there is a further pipe running at 45 degrees to the house and joining further along. 

My guess would be that could well be a rainwater sewer and if you pour a bucket down the gully that your red line goes through it will come down that pipe. Can’t connect a toilet to that. 

I have opened both manholes, and pulled the flush several times, those are the only manhole covers in my garden, but none of them show flush water coming through, and that's a real shame, my next plan was this.

manhole bypass.jpg

Ok. 

IC - inspection chamber 

If the existing toilet is where you say it is, then the waste is coming straight through that wall and joining underground with a Y or T into the main run. 

I would look where the toilet is now, measure it onto the wall outside and start digging down - I think you’ll find the pipe on that wall where you have drawn. 

And you do know this is all notifiable to Building Control ..???

• Thanks 1

Hi Peter, i did measure where the pipe is at the back of toilet, and then measured to the outside, so if the pipe does come out there, and not on some sort of angle, then i assume, that i am digging in the right place, and i wasn't aware, that i ad to let building control know, so i would need to let me local council know of what i'm doing?. 

Hi, thanks for all the replies and advice, i really appreciate it, i have managed to locate the pipe, can anybody suggest what i need to connect to this pipe, to take it up and out, i can't block this off, or use a single piece fitting, as the toilet will still be in use, until we fit the upstairs toilet. thanks  

IMG_20200316_160103.jpg

Dig a bit further down, and then a bucket of hot water over the top to clean it off but that will be a clay pipe. 

The hole will need to be bigger - half as much again along its length. The simple way to remove is to take a whole section out - start from the middle and work to the joints. Then use Clay adapters to insert some PVC pipe with a standard Y connector.

The new stack will go into the Y branch, when you remove the old WC, seal the pipe off with a cap (unless the WC room is going to become something that needs a drain ..??)

• Thanks 1