Loft conversion internal door requirements / spec

DC5

Hi folks, can anyone clarify the requirements for the doors in a loft conversion please I'm struggling a bit to clarify them (Scotland).

Our loft conversion (1st floor) will have a bathroom and living-room in it - the building warrants show no spec for fire doors and they have been signed of, I assumed I would need fire doors but would rather not if they can be avoided as I would like to get custom made doors to suit our old cottage.

Any thoughts or feedback would be appreciated!

Edited by DC5

I don't know about Scotland but in England a loft conversion can turn a two storey house into a three storey house and the rules for fire doors and fire resistance of walls is different for three storey houses. Sometimes the stair well on the ground floor has to be upgraded by doubling up plasterboard.

12 hours ago, DC5 said:

I assumed I would need fire doors but would rather not if they can be avoided as I would like to get custom made doors to suit our old cottage.

Check with the BCO but if you only need FD30 doors then you can get some pretty nice looking cottage oak doors these days..

https://www.doorsandfloors.co.uk/woodland-oak-ledge-and-brace-fd30-fire-doors.html

https://greentreedoors.co.uk/product/oak-mexicana-fd30-internal-fire-door/

• Thanks 1

thanks for the help, you its originally ground floor and we are converting into the loft. The loft has now got velux windows and several are to the fire escape spec.

I will clarify with the BC officer but looks likely they aren't required which is helpful!

• 1 month later...