Sambron Am10 all terrain forklift

Olly P

I have just bought this 1977 Sambron am10 forklift and as I haven't seen or heard of one before I'm interested to here of anyone who has used one before. 

I believe it has a 8 metre lift and has a 1 tonne lifting capacity.   

It starts and runs ok but the output shaft bearing on the gearbox has collapsed. However I have sourced and purchased a used gearbox I will fit this week along with giving it a service and grease up etc. 

It sure is wierd and wacky but i'm hoping it will be a handy bit of kit during the build for very little money! 

Screenshot_20200211-222559_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20200210-183058_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20200211-222553_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20200209-223227_eBay.jpg

• Like 3

Yeh you won’t see many about as they have no outriggers and a nasty habit of falling over ... 

Not sure it would meet modern safety standards with the cage as you essentially have to get out through the booms but I’m sure if you’re steady and don’t try doing too much it should be ok ... 

14 hours ago, PeterW said:

Yeh you won’t see many about as they have no outriggers and a nasty habit of falling over ... 

Not sure it would meet modern safety standards with the cage as you essentially have to get out through the booms but I’m sure if you’re steady and don’t try doing too much it should be ok ... 

I am also concerned on the lack of outriggers, even though the smaller modern telehanders dont have them either. Luckily our site is dead flat so less risk of tipping over and we won't overload it. Also as we are building a dormer bungalow we won't be lifting to max height. I'm thinking of replacing all he rubber hydraulic pipes to reduce the risk of failure.

15 hours ago, Cpd said:

What a crazy bit of kit.......  just the sort of thing I would buy ! 

Apart from my digger all other machinery I own, dumper, compact tractor , generator etc is all very old as it's all I can afford but they are generally easier to repair when needs be. Plus I  like old stuff!?

Have driven a few all terrain forklifts, none of this type though and they are pretty good for what they can do. The lack of jack legs to help level the machine up is a pain. Glue a spirit level to the top of the dash and don't take any chances.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Olly P said:

It starts and runs ok but the output shaft bearing on the gearbox has collapsed. However I have sourced and purchased a used gearbox I will fit this week along with giving it a service and grease up etc. 

Before you pull the box are you sure that the bearing cannot be changed in-situ?

If you remove the drive flange you may find that you can change the bearing in place - fairly common on a machine like this to have a box like that. Nothing to lose and may save you a fair whack of work and a bad bad!

Edited by Carrerahill

22 minutes ago, Carrerahill said:

Before you pull the box are you sure that the bearing cannot be changed in-situ?

If you remove the drive flange you may find that you can change the bearing in place - fairly common on a machine like this to have a box like that. Nothing to loose and may save you a fair whack of work and a bad bad!

Yes you are right There is a bearing cap bolts up behind the drive flange but unfortunately the gear oil is rusty water colour as water has entered the gearbox over the years past the gearstick gator. I'm concerned that there will be more issues apart from the bearing collapsed. Luckily I've bought another good gearbox for £200 so I'm going to swap the full box for piece of mind. 

23 minutes ago, Olly P said:

Yes you are right There is a bearing cap bolts up behind the drive flange but unfortunately the gear oil is rusty water colour as water has entered the gearbox over the years past the gearstick gator. I'm concerned that there will be more issues apart from the bearing collapsed. Luckily I've bought another good gearbox for £200 so I'm going to swap the full box for piece of mind. 

Got you.