Metal roof with velux windows

I’ve noticed a few people doing metal roofs with roof windows, and noticed all having a bit of a nightmare trimming around the windows. 

Over the road from me they are building loads of new houses all with metal roofs

i have been keeping a keen eye on them to look at details and thought would share it in case anybody needs ideas. 

The photos are rubbish as I took them on my phone from 200m away

what they have basically done is above the windows they have turned a sheet 90degrees and run it sideways as a big wide flashing, the sheets above the windows are trimmed down onto this horizontal sheet, probably with a fold that tucks under to prevent wind uplift. 

Hope that makes sense, if I haven’t explained properly and your interested I will go around with a proper camera. AC07DDBA-3651-4102-A881-728A167400CA.thumb.jpeg.e0e465fd0ddf31a86ef7cb858a6b3606.jpeg

Edited by Russell griffiths
Bloody spell checker
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Russell griffiths said:

I’ve noyiced a few people doing metal roofs with roof windows, and noticed all having a bit of a nightmare trimming around the windows. 

Over the road from me they are building loads of new houses all with metal roofs

i have been keeping a keen eye on them to look at details and thoui would share it in case anybody needs ideas. 

The photos are rubbish as I took them on my phone from 200m away

what they have basically done is above the windows they have turned a sheet 90degrees and run it sideways as a big wide flashing, the sheets above the windows are trimmed down onto this horizontal sheet, probably with a fold that tucks under to prevent wind uplift. 

Hope that makes sense, if I haven’t explained properly and your interested I will go around with a proper camera. AC07DDBA-3651-4102-A881-728A167400CA.thumb.jpeg.e0e465fd0ddf31a86ef7cb858a6b3606.jpeg

Very interested in this. Thanks for the post. 

2 hours ago, Cpd said:

I wonder how they seal the bottom as it looks like the roof sheet buts up to the bace of the window but there is no skirt / flashing ? 

On the bottom, the sheets are tucked under the window flashing kit in this case. This can be easy or difficult (depending on the manufacturer)

The top piece above the window is(should be) a made up flashing to fit the specific window.

Same can be done on the bottom.

6 hours ago, Patrick said:

On the bottom, the sheets are tucked under the window flashing kit in this case. This can be easy or difficult (depending on the manufacturer)

Ok so please humour me as I am interested...... how do you “tuck” the standing seam bit under the window flashing ? Thanks.  

9 hours ago, Visti said:

Good idea for standing seam roofs like these, though the fact the windows don't line up with the seams make me twitch a bit!

The sheet size on some of the roofs have been altered to purposely not be near a seam. 

Tbh the work is spot on, for a new development the work is very very good

but it should be, they are a lot of money.