Lead tray in chimney

Johnbelfast

I have a problem with water ingress in my chimney.  I have a woodturning stove and a stainless steel liner in the flue.  The house is a bungalow built in 1953 but the chimney has been re-built at some point.  The stack is on the edge of the house and does not come through the roof so it is very high -about 8 feet and only 2 bricks wide x 7 bricks long.  There is no lead tray.  A builder has told me i need the stack taken down and rebuilt with a lead tray .  I would like to know if fitting a tray will make the stack weaker and wonder if that was why there isn't one.  Is there any other way I can waterproof the stack without re-building it?

Yes , the flashing round the chimney looks in good condition.  I've sprayed the brickwork on the stack with Screwfix brick sealant.  Another query I have is about the wisdom of fitting a flue liner and surrounding it with vermiculite.  Surely that could create dampness.  I always understood there should be ventilation in a chimney.

The vermiculite is used to insulate around the flue so is needed. It's used because it can withstand the high temps that you would get around the flue.

Can you get a ladder out and check the top off the stack to see if water has penetrated  the seal at the top and is working it's way down.

• Like 1

This morning after another night of heavy rain and wind the water was running down the stack bricks inside the roofspace.  I'm drying it out with a fan heater .  How far can rain drive under lead flashing?  The tiles are flat and the flashing only extends 3-4 inches over the tiles.  I had the flauncing re-done on the top of the chimney because it was cracked.  There is a chimney cowl on the top of the pot.

I was wondering about Storm dry because I think the issue is saturated brickwork and it would be better to stop the water getting into the stack in the first place rather than stopping it getting further down with a lead tray.  Has anyone else any input on the effectiveness of this treatment?  The chimney pointing is in good condition.

7 hours ago, Johnbelfast said:

This morning after another night of heavy rain and wind the water was running down the stack bricks inside the roofspace.  I'm drying it out with a fan heater .  How far can rain drive under lead flashing?  The tiles are flat and the flashing only extends 3-4 inches over the tiles.  I had the flauncing re-done on the top of the chimney because it was cracked.  There is a chimney cowl on the top of the pot.

that sounds like a leak and not the brickwork getting wet. Sounds like there are no soakers under the edges of the tiles or they aren’t installed properly. 

• Like 1

I agree with @PeterW that sounds more like a leak.  Lead flashing isn't rocket science but its amazing how badly it gets done.  Generally flashing should be made of separate sheets called soakers that are overlapped and interleaved with plain tiles so that water running down gets diverted to the outside. Sometimes another sheet of lead is put over the top of the lot but its the bit underneath that's  the most important. With wavy pantiles you may only need the one piece top sheet but that's not sufficient with plain tiles.

Go carefully in this weather.

Edited by Temp

We bought a new house that developed a bad leak around the chimney.  Resulted in a fair bit or water damage to a bedroom ceiling.  It turned out that the "builder" had fitted the lead flashing with the overlaps the wrong way around, so water was running underneath the lead at the joints . . .

To be honest I've seen far worse lead work then that. The tiles are interlocking tiles not plain and..

http://www.roofconsult.co.uk/articles/tiling/tips29.htm

Flashings
With interlocking tiles, soakers must never be used. Therefore a lead cover flashing will be required. With flat interlocking tiles the minimum side lap distance should be 150mm. However with profiled interlocking tiles side lap cover is not so easy to determine. Many profiled interlocking tiles have a trough that is flush with the side interlock, such that unless the flashing goes over a full roll water creeping in between the flashing and the tiles will run onto the trough of the tile and could run off the edge. The recommendation of the Lead Sheet Association is that the flashing covers a full roll. Depending upon the location of the roll at the side abutment will determine the actual side lap cover distance.

So I don't think the top cover is wide enough but not sure if that's the problem.