Assembling EPS Raft

LA3222

Is it just me or did anyone else have dramas putting there raft insulation together?

I have all the pieces in the right place but I'll be damned if I can get them to but up to each other snugly.  My dimensions are all over the shop.  About 15mm over 15m length and 20mm on the diagonals?‍♂️

There are 14 pieces in the long side so just 1mm between them all leaves me with a big error at the end.  

A long and frustrating day!!!?

12 minutes ago, Temp said:

Just checking you have seen latest weather forecast for storm ciara. Pretty strong winds this weekend.

Its sat abandoned at the minute....seems heavy enough and the friction of each piece next to the other has it fairly well secured I think.

If its budged in the morning I'll sling some steel on it.  Bit threaders with it all after today, part and parcel of self building I suspect? 

New day tomorrow!

Did you expect it to be that exact that each piece wouldn’t be plus or minus 1-2 mm. 

Mark your corners and work towards the centre, trimming the centre block to fit. 

Sorry but it’s not the space shuttle 

plus and minus 1-4 mm per block would be fairly normal with eps. 

If building in icf you start at the corners and have a straight or common joint that you cut to relax the difference in block sizes. 

Its just the same with laying bricks or blocks, the mortar will allow adjustments, being youhave no mortar you trim to fit. 

21 hours ago, Temp said:

Just checking you have seen latest weather forecast for storm ciara. Pretty strong winds this weekend.

Indeed Lincolnshire is in the firing line for this storm, forecast is for gusts up to 70mph on Sunday.

I would be alert to potential vortices forming across footing walls that might lift the insulation panels due to low pressure.

It is indeed rather windy here!  The morning after the night before shows that a few pieces have slid across the sand but that's all.  The challenge will be trying to glue more together today in this damn wind!!

5 hours ago, epsilonGreedy said:

I suggest today is a write off unless you are on a deadline with a contractor booked.

I got some stuff done, one long wall assembled and all the corners assembled.  Couldn't put them in the right place though as the bloody wind meant I couldn't run a straight line with my tape, gave it up as a bad job and moved on to other stuff.

Did you get that rain earlier? I actually had to retreat indoors when that came!

7 minutes ago, LA3222 said:

Did you get that rain earlier? I actually had to retreat indoors when that came!

Yup for 20 minutes when the cold front arrived we had thunder lightning hail and monsoon intensity rain. The driveway entrance speed bump anti flood design got a major test and passed.

The structural static caravan skirting also passed, not a wobble or shake during the strongest gusts.

Edited by epsilonGreedy