Ventilation common stack

Ian Phillips

I have a question about the ventilation in a new build house, I have been told by the electrician that separate room fans going through the wall are now not allowed and a new central fan is the way forward.

This is basically a fan in the loft with the pipework coming from the kitchen, utility and bathrooms to the central fan and then venting through the roof. This seems a lot of work routing the pipework around joists etc.

What has everyone else doing a recent new build done? I have seen single room vents with heat recovery units built in and these can be linked up via bluetooth to talk to each other, they also have humidity sensors as well. This seems a much easier option. I will attempt to post a link: https://www.blauberg.co.uk/en/blauberg-mini-air-decentralised-heat-recovery-unit-single-wall-mounted-d-mvhr-ventilator-smart-wifi-control

Thanks

1 hour ago, Ian Phillips said:

I have been told by the electrician that separate room fans going through the wall are now not allowed and a new central fan is the way forward.

That reminds me, I need to pop into the pharmacy tomorrow to ask about an oil change on my car...

Fairly typical of a trade who knows think they know a bit about a lot, he has heard something in isolation and become an "expert" I expect.

If you are in England, part F applies here, if in Scotland it's just the Building standards. Part F I believe was last reviewed in 2010 and amended in 2013 so nothing "new".

The Scottish building regs simply call for a ventilation rate and make no particular reference to type of fan or position.

5 hours ago, Ian Phillips said:

Thanks for the replies, I think I will be going down the MVHR route!

Have you already ordered windows? If not remember to get them without trickle vents. 

And generally the better the airtightness of the house the better the MVHR will work. We have good airtightness (better than 1 ACH) on our spec so it's a contractual requirement for our renovation contractor

• Like 1

One thing I now regret is not having more of our windows non-opening.  At least 50% of our windows never need to be opened, and so would have been better as fixed ones.  It was a detail that I just didn't pick up when getting window quotes.  The only issue with non-opening windows is really one of appearance, as if next to an opening pane they can look a bit odd, because of the narrower frame.

Having said that, we don't have any air leaks around the windows, so it's not an issue.  It just means that cluster flies have somewhere to gather in the tiny gaps around the outside of each casement.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Jeremy Harris said:

The only issue with non-opening windows is really one of appearance, as if next to an opening pane they can look a bit odd, because of the narrower frame.

I know what you mean. Early on in the project, an executive order was issued for windows to have all matching sightlines. (In fact, that was a standing order from the previous house when my SO arranged the new window order)

The other drivers for openables in our project:

- build regs requirements around escape routes

- window manufacturer's automated blinds can only be installed in opening units (Internorm)

- kitchen window seems nice to be openable in case of too much burnt toast.

All that counted for, I think we've only managed two non-openers.

On 07/02/2020 at 14:15, joth said:

Have you already ordered windows? If not remember to get them without trickle vents. 

And generally the better the airtightness of the house the better the MVHR will work. We have good airtightness (better than 1 ACH) on our spec so it's a contractual requirement for our renovation contractor

No we haven’t ordered the windows or doors yet, thanks for the information though ?