Damp chimey

Roger440

In my upstairs bedroom at the new gaff, the wall, next to the chimney is clearly damp. So i went up into the roof space today to have a look round. The chimey itself where it comes through the roof is damp to touch. I did this while it was raining and there is nothing to see. Its just very damp.

As i know bugger all about chimeys, does any one know of a decent chap who might be able to asses whats going on? Im in north bucks.

There is a wood burner in the living room below, but there is nothing visible from the ground on the top of the chimney. Clearly it needs some lead work doing properly, which may, or may not be part or all of the issue, but what stops the water going down the chimey?

Nothing stops water entering the flue itself but there should be a lead apron near the point at which the masonry comes through the roofline - may only look like an inch or so of lead turned down on the stack. If that's not there, water may be getting between the pot and the stack flaunching and running down. 

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

Nothing stops water entering the flue itself but there should be a lead apron near the point at which the masonry comes through the roofline - may only look like an inch or so of lead turned down on the stack. If that's not there, water may be getting between the pot and the stack flaunching and running down. 

There is some lead flashing, but only on 3 sides! That got picked up on the survey. But thats the opposite side to the worst of he damp. 

I understand the flue is open, but given its an old chimney, and its subsequently had a wood burner installed, does that not mean there is a modern flue up the inside of the old chimney? Leaving the original chimney open to the elements? Should that not be capped off?

When I was in the south, the normal way was lead flashing set into the chimney that was dressed over the top of the tiles. Then under the tiles were soakers, one per tile, to catch anything that the wind blew under the lead.  So when the soakers corrode, on a windy day, wind blown rain that got pushed under the gap between the lead and the tile didn't get caught by the soakers, and so ran down the inside of the chimney.

Up here the normal way is a lead "sercret gutter" under the tiles. An altogether far superior method.

25 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Hi Pete. Found that. I think i get it now.

I see no evidence inside or outside of any such thing. Given that its pre 1850 ish, maybe thats not a surprise? I fee a chimney stack rebuild coming on.............................

13 hours ago, Roger440 said:

Hi Pete. Found that. I think i get it now.

I see no evidence inside or outside of any such thing. Given that its pre 1850 ish, maybe thats not a surprise? I fee a chimney stack rebuild coming on.............................

Your issue could be that there is a lead DPC within the chimney but a new liner will breach that - normally a liner is suspended from the top of the pot using a cowl but if that isn't in place then you may find rain coming down the outside of the liner and there is a point where it touches the old chimney and the water is seeping in there.