Small double height foyer

Sjk

Use the space for an en suite?  

4 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi Buildhubbers,

I'm having second thoughts on this, I was planning on having a small double height foyer on my build, now I am wondering if it would be better to use the space as an ensuite. One bedroom already has an en suite, and the other two bedrooms share a family bathroom.

I don't want the build to be too "plain", I like the idea of the open entrance hall and I think it adds interest.

Would like to hear your thoughts, this is a rough floorplan.

Edited by Sjk

On my phone so it’s a bit tricky, but added the door to the bedroom. The stairs and landing are where the blue arrows are. 

The square with the red dimensions inside is open space. I.e. there is no first floor there, so the landing looks down onto the ground floor. 

Edited by Sjk

I think it is hard for people to put it in context without a full ground floor plan.

As I doubt you'd be blocking the front door, I assume that is a rear door to the garden at the moment and you enter the house at the other side.

In that case, it would seem that the space will rarely be used.

An en suite would work, but another suggestion might be to make it a study area, otherwise if it is just a rear hall I doubt you will get the benefit of the double height.

Well you perhaps saw my design with the double-height -  it's all a matter of balance. I think the ratio of bathrooms-to-bedrooms should be roughly 1:2 to be "okay", if you hit that, I think a foyer would be better use of the space. But yeah frankly your drawings are hard to put in context..