OpenReach and flyover rights.

Update: Second more senior engineered arrived this morning to assess options. Bad atmosphere still hangs in the air so left angry neighbour and engineer to walk around area looking at telegraph poles and sight lines.

After 40 minutes the engineer knocks on my door to give me a summary. My instinct is proven right and confirmed by the people who have to do the job. The single span across the whole width of my plot is too long for regular 4 core cable and a fly over route through trees is a further disincentive. Hopefully another route will be the recommended option. 

The underlying problem here is that the original OpenReach employee surveyor was out of area, living in a hotel and helping out with an excess local workload. He got too pally with the angry neighbour and another ex. BT neighbour and recommended a bad route. This set expectations for a quick cheap install. Gravity and my protest thwarted Plan-A hence the dispute.

34 minutes ago, joe90 said:

I found this on the telecommunications act website,..

Thank you for the research, on the face of it that undermines my case. However there is much peripheral discussion on the internet that indicates if OpenReach need access to a property for an install (even just a fly over) this tips rights back in favour of the property owner.

Until this week I had not realized what a basket case institution OpenReach is, any political party that promises to eradicate OpenReach by Act of Parliament will get my vote. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

not that I am aware of ..?? I’ve only ever paid the new connection fee of £50. 

When I got mine connected, someone told me each new connection is "allocated £3000"  and the customer only has to pay if the works are going to cost more than that.

I guess it rarely does.

I paid £50 connection fee to BT and then got most of it back, because it took Open Reach so long to find a working pair between our house and the exchange.

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

Not sure why the neighbour is grumpy as the most he will pay for the connection is £50...

If the neighbour is already moved in, I'd guess it's the time, not the money, involved. He may have placed the original order months ago, lost in admin forever, and now looking down the long end of another N months until eventually connected. 

If it was me on the receiving end of that delay and if it was available, an offer for use of my neighbour's wifi in the interim would go a very long way to removing the frustration.