Cavity Wall Insulation & Floodwater

Onoff

The road I grew up in flooded a while back, well at least the bottom end with a few houses inundated. As I understand a few had had cavity wall insulation of some type and it's soaked up the water leading to long term damp issues.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.kentonline.co.uk/dartford/news/amp/woman-and-dog-trapped-in-waist-height-flooding-206362/

The bottom of the road ends at a fence then just the other side is a huge earth bank forming part of Brands Hatch racing circuit. As a kid when it flooded years ago we took an inflatable raft over the fence and dinghied over to where a circuit Landrover was submerged and we stood on it's roof. Got a right rollicking when we got back home as of course all the sewers had overflowed too. One of the flooded neighbours (we were a tad higher luckily) actually drove his speedboat around where Neal Road meets Hever Avenue.

Ambiguous headline:

"West Kingsdown pensioner caught in flooding up to her waist"

Does that mean that the flood suddenly appeared and she was waist deep, which is implicit, or that she was on a higher something and trapped in by waist deep water?

Shades of Dr Foster...

Some of the blown in fluffy stuff is known to absorb water.  IIRC, there have been cases where water driven in through the outer skin has caused it to get saturated with water.  EPS CWI is fine, though, as it's both free-draining and pretty water resistant.  I'm not sure if they still use the fluffy, fibre, stuff any more, as it got quite a bit of bad press a few years ago for contributing to damp problems.

2 minutes ago, Sensus said:

There's plenty of guidance available on flood-resilient construction.

Bottom line is that any fibrous insulation (including 'non-absorbent' fibres like  rockwool) is not a good idea, below flood level, though, as even when it dries out, the smell of silt (if you're lucky...) lingers almost indefinitely.

There's a lot to be said for using sacrificial construction below flood level, so that the whole lot can be ripped out and thrown away when contaminated by flood water.

Where I used to live there was a cottage by the river that flooded regularly.  It had been "adapted" with a quarry tile floor, quarry tile skirting and the walls "plastered" with sand / cement not plaster.  All electrics high up.

When a flood was due, the kitchen kick boards were removed, and all furniture lifted up on bricks.  when the water went down they just mopped it out, put the furniture back and carried on.  They continued living in the house even in a flood, the just wore wellies downstairs. 

4 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

Ambiguous headline:

"West Kingsdown pensioner caught in flooding up to her waist"

Does that mean that the flood suddenly appeared and she was waist deep, which is implicit, or that she was on a higher something and trapped in by waist deep water?

Shades of Dr Foster...

I can assure you its correct as my parents and other neighbours were awoken by the emergency services. The flood happened when people were in bed. My parents stayed dry but the next door neigbour had the manhole on his lawn lift and the lawn covered with sewage. The road is on a slope with the majority of houses semi detached. Each pair is in effect built on it's own terrace, the next pair are lower as you go down the road. Theres a 2' drop between my parents and their neighbour and so it goes on. At the bottom of the road there's a pair of semis of different design and one detached. These are the ones that generally get really badly hit. Mad in some ways as it's one of the highest spots in Kent!

20191101_100928.thumb.jpg.8c171d447878c6ebafeeb9fe48d4d6fa.jpg

Edited by Onoff

7 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Not doubting, just musing on an unclear headline :-).

Your new avatar has a convincing face. ?

One you "wouldn't want to meet in an alley...dark or otherwise" is a phrase I've heard before! Can't help that I'm a looker! ?

We have a house with flood resilient construction.  The ground floor walls have full fill Celotex and the floors are beam and block with EPS under and around the beams.  I am slightly concerned that the house may lift up in the event of a flood...