Pivot Doors

DeeJunFan

Chaps i have had a few tough weeks mulling over this decision without any outlet for questions so here goes.

as the title suggests i've been looking at pivot doors for out 3m ope in sunroom.

Pivot_Door.jpg

something like this but in black.

photo (12).JPG

So the questions and are as follows.

Are they any good?  I've been told they are "fairly airtight" and "we have never had any complaints" 

Also have been told by joinery firm that they will only make them 2.5m wide with a 500mm side light.  I have researched the pivot hinge and they support a door up to 300kg and the 3m door would weight in at around 175kg.  They aren't giving me any reason for the 2.5m limitation so i'm wondering does anyone on here know of any reason why the door width would be limited?

They are the 2 main questions so far.

Cheers

Damian

Thanks,  

Looking at the calcs its all down to the glazing.  The company i was talking to use 4-12-4 Dg units and according to the inter web the weight of 4mm DG is 22kgs per m2 which comes out at approx 127kg for my door.

The timber they use is accoya which has a density of 512kg per m3 gives for a 150mm deep frame by 60mm wide a timber weight of 49kg.

I could be miles away but its all the detail i could find to try and calculate the weight.

Also it doesn't include the weight of the frame, just the actual opening leaf.

Wind is a worry but it would be on the most sheltered side of my house

D

I would worry about wind as well. There wouldn't be many days I could open it without some really secure way to hold it in position when open.

And weight would be my concern as we are all triple glazed, 4,20,4,20,4

Also the amount of space you need to keep clear to allow it to open.

I have a 3.3M opening in my sun room, door yet to be decided but will probably just go for a pair of sliders.

• 4 weeks later...