More rubbish plumbing fittings.

ProDave

A simple WC pan connector has just fallen apart.  This drives me nuts that you cannot trust a simple fitting like that to be reliable.

This is for the WC in our combined utility / downstairs WC.  I removed it several weeks ago to fit the UFH and tile the floor.  I am now putting it back.  Having had previous trouble with re using a pan connector and it not sealing very well, I bought a new one.  This one from Toolstation https://www.toolstation.com/900-pan-connector/p37429

So I have just fitted the pan, and it all was going very well, it fitted with no problem.  Then as I was starting to connect the cistern I heard a dull "POP" noise.  The Pan connector has come apart:

Broken_pan_connector.thumb.jpg.55935f29347d7f06e2ce8a156e5badd7.jpg

I am not sure if it is clear, but this is the bit that seals over the pan spigot.  The rubber ring is held in place by a white plastic ring that clips onto the main body of the pan connector.  Only mine came unclipped and now will not stay clipped in place, even when not connected to the pan.

Utter $h!te.

I seem to have 3 choices:

1: just to get an identical replacement and just hope I had a "Friday afternoon" model and the next identical one will be totally reliable for the next 20 years.

2: To get a different one to replace it. The only other one TS have is this one https://www.toolstation.com/wc-pan-connector/p82081  which they are out of stock of anyway.

3: To solvent weld the ring on and hold it with G clamps while it sets. The B*****d will never come off again.

What does the panel think?

6 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Spend £3 extra and buy the McAlpine one so you don’t wonder when it will come apart again ... and always use silicone lubricant on the seals. 

I did use lube.  That is not the issue.  a part that should have clicked together in the factory and never ever come apart, came apart.

I like the idea of the McAlpine one, BUT can it be shortened (like this one can)  I had to cut about 2" off this one, it is designed to be able to do that.  If that is possible with the McAlpine then I will definitely choose that one.  I need the length to be 290mm from the centre of the pan spigot.  Oddly such a vital measurement never gets quoted when you try and buy one.  That was what made me choose this one as I knew it could be shortened to the length you need.

3 minutes ago, PeterW said:

They can - pull the white seal off and cut the tube and put it back on 

Thanks, that's the one I will go for then.  Sounds like the same arrangement as the one I have, you pull the seal off, cut to length and put the seal back on.

The McAlpine pan connector arrived today.

Pan_Connector2.thumb.jpg.60e99d7120f41b2680101bb855313109.jpg

In spite of what I hoped, the end that goes into the pipe was not removable, and it was too long to use as it is.  I must have ordered the wrong one? Those "fins" are moulded directly into the pipe.

Not to be deterred I got creative.  I shortened it (losing the fins) and instead used the sealing set from the old failed pan connector:

Pan_Connector3.thumb.jpg.e6c379913621bb1a6f94dad6f11aebb3.jpg

We got there in the end.

Pan_Connector_4.thumb.jpg.4f442e7d2ae69ef14c004ff3a47c0011.jpg

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I must have ordered the wrong one? Those "fins" are moulded directly into the pipe.

Don't beat yourself up, you may well have ordered the right one. I ordered some st/st brick ties from S'fix the other day for my pillars and the profile is different from that in the catalogue. Happily in my case as the "interlock" if butting them up is better for my needs.

Good job. You got it sorted, that's all that matters. So many things that we buy these days are utter rubbish, although i dont think it's a new thing. My brother in law used to work for Ford developement. In the late seventies a manufacturer came in with an alternator. Said they could do them for say, a tenner each. They were asked how long it would last, and were told minimum 15 years. They were told to go away and re-engineer it. Make it last 6 years, and make it a Fiver.

On 29/10/2019 at 17:36, ProDave said:

A simple WC pan connector has just fallen apart.  This drives me nuts that you cannot trust a simple fitting like that to be reliable.

This is for the WC in our combined utility / downstairs WC.  I removed it several weeks ago to fit the UFH and tile the floor.  I am now putting it back.  Having had previous trouble with re using a pan connector and it not sealing very well, I bought a new one.  This one from Toolstation https://www.toolstation.com/900-pan-connector/p37429

So I have just fitted the pan, and it all was going very well, it fitted with no problem.  Then as I was starting to connect the cistern I heard a dull "POP" noise.  The Pan connector has come apart:

Broken_pan_connector.thumb.jpg.55935f29347d7f06e2ce8a156e5badd7.jpg

I am not sure if it is clear, but this is the bit that seals over the pan spigot.  The rubber ring is held in place by a white plastic ring that clips onto the main body of the pan connector.  Only mine came unclipped and now will not stay clipped in place, even when not connected to the pan.

Utter $h!te.

I seem to have 3 choices:

1: just to get an identical replacement and just hope I had a "Friday afternoon" model and the next identical one will be totally reliable for the next 20 years.

2: To get a different one to replace it. The only other one TS have is this one https://www.toolstation.com/wc-pan-connector/p82081  which they are out of stock of anyway.

3: To solvent weld the ring on and hold it with G clamps while it sets. The B*****d will never come off again.

What does the panel think?

Pest I know. I have come to learnt that generally Toolstation is a bit like Home Bargains - shop about and there is plenty of good stuff, but there is also a lot of tat.

I'd have tried 3 - it would have sat on my mind, and I would have ended up getting a good'un.

Edited by Carrerahill