G3 Training

Triassic

Has anyone done the G3 unvented water storage systems course, how difficult is it? How long is the training valid for?

I only ask as I’m quite capable of installing the kit  myself, the only bit I’m missing is G3.

In a past life I was a Lloyds approved pressure relief systems maintenance technician and inspector, so understand the fundamentals. 

13 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Do you need your C&G’s before they’ll let you attain G3?

I know it gets done with the fresh faces as part of their ACS, but I’m not sure if you can walk in “of the street” and do your G3...

I have a C&G in Plumbing and a HNC in Plant and  Process Engineering, along with other higher qualifications. So not quite “walking in off the street”. 

Most of the large manufacturers offer the G3 course and some offer a discount to the value of the course off their products, if order within three months of taking the course.

Edited by Triassic

Depends who you go with. Access Training and the others say “working toward or have experience” so it’s a bit of a gamble on that one. Some say you have to have the tickets. 

Cheapest I’ve seen is Gledhill at £90, others are in the £175 mark. 

When I spent a few years in the renewables industry I did my G3 course because of designing unvented systems. I had no previous experience but this did not seem to matter. I did mine through Mitsubishi Ecodan because they were one of our suppliers about 6 years ago. It was too difficult - got a decent set of notes and we also did a little practical work as well. For the two trained plumbers on the course it was a necessary but boring day off the tools

Edited by BotusBuild

6 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

I did my Part P without any prior formal training.

Though, thinking about it now.  I did have a Level 3 in Vehicle Electrical Systems, but I never mentioned that.

At the start of our build, after about half a dozen trips to Screwfix in as many days, they asked if I wanted an Electricfix card.  I mentioned that my quals were a bit old, they said no problem, just bring them in.  Next trip in I pulled out a ratty C&G chit from 1977 and they duly gave me a card...

13 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

they duly gave me a card

I got one as well by showing my Part P.

I think you can do the same in B&Q.

But I use MacSalvors, way cheaper, though Jim's Tackle is cheaper on adhesives.

Every town should have a MacS and Jim's.