Air Vents and Bricks

Barney12

This a post for my general interest. The pics below are from a friends bungalow built in the 80's. Its a well build house (private small builder) and on the two elevations they've put huge air vents in the walls. One of them is in a bedroom (N) and strangely ones in the back of a built in wardrobe in the dressing room (E). There is no sign of damp, past or present. Standard cavity construction. Both of the vents look very much as they've been their since it was built. Nothing on the South or West elevations. 

As you can imagine they are somewhat drafty! All of the windows were replaced a couple of years ago so they all have trickle vents. 

My thoughts are block the buggers up (being careful not to bridge the cavity)? Anyone disagree?

But was this a standard design element for regs back then?

IMG_7741.jpg.8185b59a1e82f7fe7939d9e89515d3d9.jpgIMG_7742.jpg.965451ef6f9525c769d0430aea253b86.jpg

I  installed a couple of vents like this in our old house last year, as we where suffering from serious condensation in the bedrooms. 

Breathing out at night, it worked really well last winter and the condensation halved over night, this year it is back with a vengeance, I think the mesh behind the vent may be blocked. 

They have worked really well, unless your friend is suffering from a bad draft I would leave them alone. 

15 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

Any open flame gas fire in the property? If so rather important to retain one.

no but there is a fireplace with a disused gas tap so perhaps once but it’s right at the other end of the building to these vents.