Do I Even Need an ASHP and cylinder now we have Sunamp?

Triassic

In my heating and hot water design I have a Sunamp and solar PV for the hot water and an air source heat pump (ASHP) and associated unvented cylinder, as a hot water pre-heat and for the underfloor heating/cooling!

I'm now at that point where I need to order the kit and get it installed, then electrician asked the question  "why spend money on an ASHP and cylinder, when you could buy another Sunamp cheaper?".

What is the latest thinking?

My thinking would be that you need to do the arithmetic on your heat loss, DHW use, PV generation throughout the year, cost of mains electricity at different times of day (E7 or E10, etc) and so on. Give us some numbers, it'd make for a more grounded discussion.

On 22/10/2019 at 09:41, SteamyTea said:

Probably not worth it just for hot water.

How are you space heating?

As we’ve built a house that is highly insulated, we simply installed UFH to the concrete floor slab, we will have electric UFH in the bathrooms x3..

The reason I was pondering not buying the ASHP and tank was as a result of friend passing away and me questioning my own mortality! I’m 62, if I spent thousands on the kit would it be worth it,, what’s the payback time?

Edited by Triassic

One member on here did all the UFH pipes etc and just installed a Willis heater with a view to getting an ASHP at a later date if it was required once the house settled down. I have no PV or sunamp but got a new ASHP on Ebay for £850. And I am 64?.

54 minutes ago, Triassic said:

what’s the payback time

Hard to calculate without some hard numbers, but I don't think payback is really the best way to look at it.

I don't sit in a cold house all year so that I can go on 2 weeks holiday, or worry about the depreciation of my car so I can drive to work, to save some money, to not heat a house so I can go on holiday.

You are not much older than me, and we all probably worry about our own mortality from time to time.  I think it is normal, only when it starts to cloud judgments that it is a real problem, how I ended up staying in Cornwall I think (not complaining about that though).

Edited by SteamyTea
  • Like 1