Full PP or Permitted development ?

Nickfromwales

10 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

* you must be accompanied by both sets of living great grandparents to qualify for a free boiler *

:D

Excellent. I've managed to find a coupe of sets of great grandparents. They're not actually mine in a paternal sense but that's not in your T&C's. Now when do I get my boiler? :D 

E&OE

1 hour ago, Nickfromwales said:

Says carpets, curtains and duvets don't apply. 

Does a LL become liable if the tenant brings non-compliant furniture in? That must be difficult to enforce unless the LL inspects regularly.

I'll pass this info on, thanks. 

It sounds to me as if your friend needs to go on a Landlord Training Course, which will only cost around £100-200. I like the RLA, but NLA and similar bodies are OK. NLA tends to be the one that Local Councils accredit.

If he wants to do it properly and manage his own, then the silver standard is probably the NFoPP Technical Award, which is aimed mainly at letting agents.

https://www.nfopp-awardingbody.co.uk/qualifications/residential-letting-property-management/england-wales-qcf-level-3-technical-award/ 

Fireproof labels on furniture are absolutely basic; and - to be fair - functional new furniture is very cheap, And you stick to cheap-but-robust because the Deposit rules write its value down to zero after a small number of years, so you won't be able to recover damages against something with zero value as its value cannot be reduced. And there are oodles and oodles of laws.

For a forum I recommend http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/ and the forum there, where I used to post extensively as midlandslandlord.

For property type queries rather than How to Landlord, I would recommend https://www.property118.com/, which hosted the campaign that overturned the West Bromwich BS mortgage decision.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, Barney12 said:

Excellent. I've managed to find a coupe of sets of great grandparents. They're not actually mine in a paternal sense but that's not in your T&C's. Now when do I get my boiler? :D 

E&OE

On Free Boilers, it is quite interesting and complicated.

Example of a real situation with which I am familiar.

Person with dependent child who receives Income Support is eligible for insulation grants and replacement of poor boiler under various schemes.

However, it needs the same person to have parental responsibility for child under 18 or in FTE in addition to being on Income Support, and child to be living there. 

Sounds fair enough, but if a T has a child of partner who qualifies and will live there (partner does not receive income support), but not parental responsibility yet since it is partner's child and they have not been together long enough to decide to do it, they are not eligible.

In this case the T also has their own child, who ordinarily lives with former partner :-).

And it falls down the cracks.

Which then kicks off an examination of the varying criteria of all the schemes to see if one is slightly different!

I can understand why it is like that for enforcement reasons.

But ... but ... the complications.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

1 hour ago, Nickfromwales said:

Says carpets, curtains and duvets don't apply. 

Does a LL become liable if the tenant brings non-compliant furniture in? That must be difficult to enforce unless the LL inspects regularly.

I'll pass this info on, thanks. 

No, as far as I am aware.

But the LL may have some sort of liability for tenant actions if they do not enforce on the contract in some cases.

eg The Coucil may have something to say if the T brings in enough people to live there which makes it an HMO, and the LL does not have the appropriate license if required, and does not deal with the situation swiftly.

At that point the Landlord will be at risk of losing their License, or prosecution.

In Scotland 2 unrelated people living together is defined as an HMO iirc eg Hinge and Brackett.

A similar process would be applied to Anti-Social Behaviour, and Councils are now starting to require landlords to have enforcement procedures in rental contracts as a condition of licenses (as do Housing Associations at present). See, for example, this "Fit and Proper Person" document from Burnley:

http://www.burnley.gov.uk/sites/default/files/selective licensing Appendix 3 Fit and Proper.pdf

Standard 4 on page 5 may be requiring Landlords to do things that are criminal under law (common law right to quiet enjoyment, Protection from Eviction Act 1977 etc), and there is loads of similar stuff. But stopping Councils doing unlawful things is almost impossible, as we all know.

(Last rental post on this thread from me - if more is needed start a different topic.)

Ferdinand

• 2 weeks later...

Results all 'round. 

Historical regs have been granted as the flats have been existing for over 3 decades. No need for sprinklers, full epc and mega sound proofing, ( and probably more ). Phew. 

I am, however, fitting insulated PB on the external walls, full filling the 1st floor joist voids with 200mm of acoustic roll, fitting 15mm FR PB to the ceiling, then counter battening perpendicularly and fitting resilient bars. That will then have acoustic ( blue ) PB fitted, so sound deadening should be more than sufficient ( I hope ). 

As the 2nd floor flat is accessed from the basement rear door, the one which will be the sole means of access for flat A and flat B, there is a requirement for a smoke velux at the head of the staircase. As the top flat has a high ridge height from the upper landing level, I'm unsure as to how best 'make that work'. There is a strong possibility that the client wants to move into the top flat herself and have the attic as the master bedroom, so I'm assuming I can't take the additional ( new to attic ) stairs above the original ones as there would then be no scope for an openable window off the primary means of escape.  

Getting BCO to call out again next week to get some input and approvals so I can crack on. Basement flat has the original full rear elevation knocked though and supported by steels ( done over 30 years ago ) to extend the rear out. As I thought, the steels are too short and insufficient in size for me to cut and weld onto to extend them, so SE has been out and I get the calcs for the new steels in the morning. £2k later and they'll be fitted. ?

Have taken it upon myself to fit steel in the box bedroom so I can take the original fireplace out, thus making the box bedroom a decent bit wider. What difference will a couple more days of smashing and bashing make eh?!? Off tomorrow to buy the steel and get some genie lifts and acrows delivered ready for the tribe to turn up :D

If you don't hear from me again, we needed more acrows ?

7 hours ago, Barney12 said:

Is it just me or has our resident plumber turned into Nick Knowles? ;) 

I've been carrying out building work for years ;)

2 x 4.5m steels and 1 x 4.9m steel going in end of the week. Another day in the office, except I need about 8 guys on site for grunt. :)

Met Knowles and the gang on the swansea big build about 18 months or so. That was a crazy 9 days ?