Walk in shower or tray

Now ; for the main bathroom I was planning like @Onoff getting a floor former and tiling it for a walk in shower .

But ! after seeing some of these low level nice and smooth shower trays I’m not so sure .

for example 

https://www.bigbathroomshop.co.uk/milano-rasa-graphite-slate-effect-rectangular-shower-tray-choice-of-sizes-76877?gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIv4ut-NaZ5QIVB8jeCh0fWAtdEAQYCiABEgK8uPD_BwE

slick !

Assume any fixed glass panels just sit on the tray .

Apart from ascetics is one better than the other ?

I assume a tray ( any tray ) will keep water directed towards the drain better than a tiled former ??? @Nickfromwales ?? I assume also easier install ?? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

I fitted a 2000 x 900 tray, with a fixed glass screen.  The screen just sits on the tray edge with a bit of clear sealant:

5746b20ca9b92_Bathroom1.thumb.JPG.b800dfca59e13fcabedf28c2b1fc4b95.JPG

That’s smart . More and more tempted to just get that gorgeous black tray . It’s only 30mm deep so I could set it slightly lower - like only 10mm above finished floor .

I’ll put a drawing up tomorrow to show what i’m Thinking ..... ?

Buy? Wuss, @Onoff MADE his own former then came up with his own concrete recipe! 

The glass gets CT1'd down I believe along the bottom edge and that's it.

I think a tray will always direct water better and quicker to the drain as it's smooth whereas you've grout lines with a tiled former. At least that's my experience. Really pleased tbh the way my wet room corner came out especially the "union jack" cuts in the cheap ceramic floor tiles.

With hindsight I'd have gone for 2% slope rather than the 1 / 1.5% I achieved.

Keep having to clear the hair trap in the wall drain here the way the women in this house moult.

7 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Buy? Wuss, @Onoff MADE his own former then came up with his own concrete recipe! 

The glass gets CT1'd down I believe along the bottom edge and that's it.

I think a tray will always direct water better and quicker to the drain as it's smooth whereas you've grout lines with a tiled former. At least that's my experience. Really pleased tbh the way my wet room corner came out especially the "union jack" cuts in the cheap ceramic floor tiles.

With hindsight I'd have gone for 2% slope rather than the 1 / 1.5% I achieved.

Keep having to clear the hair trap in the wall drain here the way the women in this house moult.

Yeah see that’s what I thought .

Smoothness will direct water to drain faster . No grout lines . Also the tile cuts required for the former . Is it worth the effort when for 200 quid ish you got a tray . @Onoff you did a great job - but your bathroom has taken 4 years ?. In that time I’ve built the shell of a house . My bosses tolerance will only go so far ! . If it makes less work for me and still looks slick then I might have to do a Brexit style U turn and buy that big black bugger ! 

Edited by pocster

46 minutes ago, pocster said:

Now ; for the main bathroom I was planning like @Onoff getting a floor former and tiling it for a walk in shower .

But ! after seeing some of these low level nice and smooth shower trays I’m not so sure .

for example 

https://www.bigbathroomshop.co.uk/milano-rasa-graphite-slate-effect-rectangular-shower-tray-choice-of-sizes-76877?gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIv4ut-NaZ5QIVB8jeCh0fWAtdEAQYCiABEgK8uPD_BwE

slick !

Assume any fixed glass panels just sit on the tray .

Apart from ascetics is one better than the other ?

I assume a tray ( any tray ) will keep water directed towards the drain better than a tiled former ??? @Nickfromwales ?? I assume also easier install ?? 

Milano Rasa sounds like a type of ice cream.

Certainly not at all ascetic unless you plan to line it with sandpaper.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, pocster said:

Lazy bastard ! Your poor misses - 4 years for a bathroom ! . Shows how lucky mine is ! ??????

4 years, if only! According to Flickr I "broke ground" Dec 2010:

Bricking up Jan 2011:

P1210068

Dates on the photos must be wrong! ?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Onoff said:

4 years, if only! According to Flickr I "broke ground" Dec 2010:

Bricking up Jan 2011:

P1210068

Dates on the photos must be wrong! ?

Jesus ! That’s longer than a nun arguing with a vicar about whose knickers it is !

Mrs OnOff must have tolerance / stupidity of a saint !! . Comparing yourself to me I’m like Usain Bolt!!

9 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Actually doing my new bathroom took the fitter 13 and a half days, including a totally new sound insulation layer, subfloor, floor, ufh and tiles, and an entire @Onoff of pfaffing.

Fair play . Shows how ‘time conscious ‘ @Onoff is . 

So !

Forgive crude drawing .

My question is with just fixed shower glazing what length should B and more importantly A be to prevent splashing ?

Intending a rainfall ceiling mounted shower but also boss wants a standard shower on a vertical rail - I assume it’s best to mount that on wall 1 ??

78DD4653-7F41-4B6B-9522-6135743D0BA6.jpeg

Edited by pocster

3 minutes ago, pocster said:

My question is with just fixed shower glazing what length should B and more importantly A be to prevent splashing ?

Our screen is 900mm wide and I wish it was 100mm wider.  Splashing only happens around the first 100mm past the end of the glass panel.  I went for a 900mm wide panel to maximise the entry space, but in reality a 1000mm panel would have been fine.

• Thanks 1

B = min 1000mm

A = Moot, as it isn't stopping all of the water. 300mm fixed panel would stop water getting at the corner of the floor / tray junction.

In honesty, this is too small a tray to be open. Minimum tray size for 'open ended' is 1600mm AFAIC, but 1800-2000mm better. Plus then you wont need the A panel.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

B = min 1000mm

A = Moot, as it isn't stopping all of the water. 300mm fixed panel would stop water getting at the corner of the floor / tray junction.

In honesty, this is too small a tray to be open. Minimum tray size for 'open ended' is 1600mm AFAIC, but 1800-2000mm better. Plus then you wont need the A panel.

Yeah I can’t go any longer as sink and WC on that wall also . B at a min of 1000 not an issue ( could be 1200 ) . A 300 not an issue . Erm ; was planning an ‘open’ shower - not sure what to do now ?

The two I have fitted recently have B as 900-950mm, but longer trays and full screens on the end.

The latestalso has a 20mm upstand. Had a chat to the fitter at subfloor level, and I wanted it to be minimal and water retaining but not flat, and wheelchairable. You can always take 5mm off by using more screed or glue, but not add it back on.

This tray is 900 x 1800.

The sloping roof also means my shower is positioned so that spray would stay in with no door.

I will probably remove that door and cap the screen end as I think I will not find a magnetic door seal easily.

You could make A into a shower curtain or a hinged or multifold screen.

4D814B2D-C0AD-45D6-8B8D-5FBD83377960.thumb.jpeg.a0dcf98dca4c123bc417c46ffe757d70.jpeg

5D071EA3-87A4-4C5D-9D53-080D09716C17.thumb.jpeg.d60b09442a359e209eb92627a148d303.jpeg

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Thanks 1

Or instead of making life difficult ...

B could be fixed glazing and A is a slider - so a cubicle effectively. Can always shower with the door open and see how much goes on the floor ....

I guess this is the SAFE option ( shower tray back to 1000 x 1200 or similar...

But then you see things like this 

https://victoriaplum.com/product/mode-8mm-walk-in-glass-panel-pack-with-stone-shower-tray-1200-x-800?options=size|1200_x_800

That fixed panel looks what ? 600 ??

I know it’s just a ‘promo’ photo .

I can squeeze a 1200 tray in ( right at edge of ufh ) . Then if splashing is an issue add a ‘return’ by the side of the sink if need be . Don’t know now ! ?????

57 minutes ago, pocster said:

If I go 1600 for tray can’t sit lower in floor as i’m Now above ufh .

Sink and WC purchased . Sink 800 ; Wc 600 ( cistern in wall )

Is the WC to close to the sink now with 250 between them ?

A54BA1F3-BA52-4161-8160-F098F2556CC6.jpeg

Just draw rectangles to represent the various tray options and overlay on your CAD drawing which will have the UFH pipes shown exactly. 

?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Just draw rectangles to represent the various tray options and overlay on your CAD drawing which will have the UFH pipes shown exactly. 

?

Ufh cad ?!! ? I know where the ufh is because I zip tied to the edge on the pipe work . Zip ties sticking up through the screed ?