Estimating a Water Leak volume (in a loo)

Ferdinand

WA business tenant who has just left my shop has received a humongous wrap up bill, which is the best part of £1000 more than expected, which the water company alleges has built up over 18 months.

The only thing I can see that is wrong is a constant leak in the loo from what looks like a badly sealed flush mechanism.

Is anyone any good at visual estimation? This (attached) is a vid of the leak - what do we think the volume is roughly?

My guestimate might be 10l per hour, and I need to go back and measure it then turn off the stop tap. I have little experience of estimating this, however. There could also be some runoff down the surface of the  bowl.

In the 2 weeks or so since they left the meter reading is up by 20 cubic m. So clearly something is going on. 1.5 cubic m per day is 1500 l per day, which is 0.4l per minute.

Any comments welcome.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

An "unexpected wrap up bill" can only be because they have not been reading and billing correctly throughout the period.

but 1L per minute "leak" is huge and should be obvious.  Take the top off the cistern and see if it is overflowing the overflow, if so adjust the float level.

Where is the meter ..?? If it’s accessible, turn every tap off watch it carefully - most are now designed to count at a litre at a time and will soon show flow. Next stop, a 5 litre bucket under a tap and check it does exactly 5 litres into a bucket. 

Process of elimination will show if it’s a leak or faulty meter

• Thanks 1

The meter will have a small pinning dial that represents 1 litre per revolution (normally). Have a gander. But that leaking toilet cistern is barely over a couple litres per hour. There could be a more significant pipe leak somewhere outside or under the property. A quick test is to turn off the stop tap under the kitchen sink and have a look at the outside meter dial. You'll know instantly if there is an issue.

Think I have resolved this.

An overnight test revealed that the meter was indeed running at 1-2 cubic m per day. 

Resolved for me by adjusting the loo overflow, and also turning the water off for the void. 

Meter is old so may indeed be part of the problem.

T will have a sticky situation to resolve with the provider, but as a reading has not been done for some time that may be arguable if pitched carefully.

Nearly got licked to death by a dog, as it turns out T has been giving dog biscuits to regular canine passers-by on their daily walks, and particular doggo was expectant. Suggested that doggo commit burglary on next-door's burger van; refused, Packet of Bonios now supplied to the other shop next door, and a sign "Dog Biscuits Thataway" will be deployed. Have not warned chap next door as to the precise number of dogs that were supplied with biscuits.

F

Edited by Ferdinand