Help me diagnose a heating fault.

ProDave

5 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

Ok but I was thinking of a more specific case. If a householder ignores a central heating boiler for 25 years and never arranges a maintenance inspection by a qualified pro would that constitute an offense?

No, but if it failed and caused significant injury, or damage to property, the insurer may not pay out.

This is also the risk with unvented cylinders.   

Back to my neighbours plumbing.

Leak No 2 found and fixed.  This was hot feed to the two en-suites.  Mouse 1: Pipe 0

20191005_135716.thumb.jpg.3340fd8e978543082af296a3684cd81a.jpg

I have never been a great fan of plastic pipe. The mouse would not have done that to a length of copper.  It was squirting out a fine jet of water that was landing on the ceiling about 2 feet away.

Leak No 1 is as yet unfound, but it has (for the time being?) stopped leaking.  That is "ongoing"  The heating system had lost pressure overnight, so I left it pressurised a bit higher to provoke the leak to show itself.

At least the mystery of 2 simultaneous leaks is solved. There is a moose loose in the hoose.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I'm battling with mice at the moment, but in my workshop.  On my desk in front of me right now are all the 3D printed parts for my multiple mouse live trap, complete with LCD activation counter, so I can glance at a display and see how many mice there are in the bucket...

• Like 1

I have to say, now having an air tight house, with a warm vaulted roof is a delight.  There is nowhere for mice to get in.  We have only had one in the house since we moved in, and that came in in the cat's mouth when we opened the door without paying attention. The cat soon caught it again and dispatched it.

In the old house, around harvest time usually, the mice started coming into the cold loft.  I was convinced they were climbing up the wall (rough cast render) and in through the obligatory soffit vents.  Nothing you could to to stop them. Just put plenty of traps or poison.  Or send the cat up into the loft.

Same here, no mice, or spiders, now that I've been spraying peppermint oil around the door thresholds once a month or so (does the spiders a favour, as they die once they get in anyway, as there's no bugs in the house for them to eat).

At the last house we'd regularly get mice in the loft, and I'm certain the only way in was for them to climb the walls and get in through gaps around the soffit, or under the tiles.  That seems to be how they are getting into my workshop, as the only evidence of them is in the loft space.  I'd need a very hungry cat to get rid of them, as I must have trapped around a dozen so far.  It's why I'm building a multiple capture live trap, so that I can just collect as many as possible in a deep bucket (too deep for them to be able to jump out).  The trap is a walk-the-plank arrangement, with an infrared proximity sensor that releases the plank, so it tips down and drops the mouse in the bucket.  A small geared motor then resets the plank to horizontal, ready for the next mouse.  The hope is that, with a bit of peanut butter on the end, I should be able to get a bucket load of mice each night.

Don't people that keep certain snakes need a constant supply of mice?  Is this a business opportunity?

I was once told a mouse can get through a hole the size of a Biro.  I can well believe it, I have found one inside a consumer unit once with all the cable entries well packed and seemingly no way in.

My neighbour now has a third leak.  In spite of putting poison in all the holes cut so far the mouse (mice?) are still eating their plastic pipes.

Imagine sitting there just wondering where the next leak is going to be and never being sure if the mouse it still at it or dead?

Remember my thread about a mouse that got in my wall cavity?, that’s as far as it got (it came in through an external brick gap fir a pipe) and I think it must have died there as there is no way into the house (otherwise I would be worried about my plastic pipes).