URGENT ! Sound Insulation in bathroom floor

Ferdinand

The refurbishment of my upstairs bathroom has started.

Today the filter took the floor up, and the sound insulation consists of stuff like teddy-bear stuffing, and is not fitted particularly tightly:

9500EFE6-8B9A-43DA-AC31-55C964F537EE.thumb.jpeg.f3d2776191add4c15634df9f8c9da6d5.jpeg

Does anyone know what this is, and can anyone suggest something better?

The type of noise is general plumbing noises. I appreciate that this will just tackle one mode of noise but it is a case of every little helps, and I will not be opening this up again.

I probably ave until mid morning tomorrow to source and obtain something, so it will need to be sourced locally.

I am wondering about mineral or glass wool batts, pressed in quite hard.

Al comments are most welcome me.

Cheers

Ferdinand

Ferdinand

Not sure that this product is certified for use as an acoustic insulation. Building Regs require mineral (glass or rock) wool, min 100mm thick and min 10 kg/m3 density in this application. Other option is that the quilt manufacturer has a sound test result confirming the floor achieves 40 dB (for new build, if this a yardstick for your requirement).

15 minutes ago, ADLIan said:

Not sure that this product is certified for use as an acoustic insulation. Building Regs require mineral (glass or rock) wool, min 100mm thick and min 10 kg/m3 density in this application. Other option is that the quilt manufacturer has a sound test result confirming the floor achieves 40 dB (for new build, if this a yardstick for your requirement).

thanks.

Built In 2009 ish. PP 2008 ish.

I am not clear that there is any acoustic insulation requirement between a bathroom and lounge below.

He used this everywhere in internal walls.

Interesting self-build syndrome ...those joists are something. Like 8.5” by 3”, yet he put normal flooring chipboard on them under a tiled bathroom floor. Running out of budget by the look of it.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

The acoustic requirement for internal walls and floors (within dwellings) been in place since early 2000s. For floors the spec is as above and for stud walls basically the same but min thickness of 25mm. Not sure how that quilt will perform acoustically - BCO should have requested test data on floor and wall to show at least 40dB achieved

This YouTube video is helpful, British in origin and the guy admits to his first failure with a Knauf sound insulation product and then the better results with a specific sound insulation sheet from Rockwool. The video gets interesting at 1 minute 20.

Here is the product he got better results with:

https://www.rockwool.co.uk/product-overview/trade-insulation-range/sound-insulation-slab-en-gb/?selectedCat=literature downloads

Denser does not necessarily equal better. Any mineral wool, min density 10 kg/m3, is deemed to comply with Building Regs here. Problem with acoustics, especially upgrading an existing building or floor. is the issue of flanking transmission short circuiting any benefit from the insulation.

@Ferdinand sorry saw this late, as stated above this is polyester insulation, and is porous insulation, and will do its job for absorbing sound energy in that cavity space.

It is just a smidgen worse performing as mineral wool or glass fibre (of same thickness and density), but not enough to warrant changing it out, so i suggest just leaving it there. 

what is the noise that you are trying to get rid of, water flow noise in those pipes? consider using a mass loaded pipe lagging to attenuate the noise from those pipes if that is the issue (e.g. superlag, UTUBE).

Edited by Moonshine

OK have resolved this.

This is a self-build done by somebody before I bought it and the quality of the bathroom floor was shocking, and will need another thread.

There was a whole section with minimal insulation, and the floor build up was butted up 22mm chipboard, screed incl heating Matt, then tiles straight on top. But the joists are like the Forth bridge. In placed you can see the lounge ceiling plasterboard.

Some of the chipboard only had half a dozen screws. He also had not used flexible adhesive. Pic 2 is one of the pieces of subfloor.

A couple of piccies.

It is classic self-build later-on budget skimp as there was too little money to finish as it was started.

There Is also a huge issue here about variable build quality within one project, and how to prove it for sale later.

Have added a50mm layer of rock wool sound insulation, and a proper plywood subfloor screwed every 150mm, then will have tongue and groove as a base for the heating and tiles

Probably needs a thread or blog article.

Ferdinand

5FF9FF45-A2F8-4AD7-99D8-38003B261622.thumb.jpeg.e222ee52faf9c8dc61ff0759c8346fdf.jpeg

71A1A9AA-C97B-45D8-86E3-D77010C9ACBD.thumb.jpeg.818a3ac1891f9abdb673f39cd9932d0c.jpeg

35D79A3B-123B-4F28-A5E1-EF56152E3841.jpeg

F6FB5C64-5535-4854-80A6-BA4145FDCAB3.thumb.jpeg.96516c6f464de2235b10624c14107dbc.jpeg

Edited by Ferdinand