Velux Integra or Velux Solar?

CH1

With the solar roof lights being only a little more than the electric Integra roof lights does anyone have any advice on:

1. which is more expensive to install (cost of builder fitting solar versus cost of electrician wiring the electric ones)

2. any problems long term with the solar ones if anyone has experienced issues with battery life

or any other experience/advice which might sway my decision making.  

We'll have a mix of manual (for those easy to reach), solar (one large rooflight that doesn't come in electric so we have to go solar) and possibly the others integra.

3 of the roof lights will have the black solar reduction ornings fitted for hot summer days.

Thank you

I have no experience of the solar ones but the wiring for Integra is simply a 3 pin plug at one end and smaller pre-wired plug the window end, with very long cable inbetween. So no need for an electrician, just routing the wire under the plasterboard. 

IIRC if you want electric blinds on the solar ones then you end up with 2 remote controls. With Integra it's all on 1 remote. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CH1 said:

With the solar roof lights being only a little more than the electric Integra roof lights does anyone have any advice on:

1. which is more expensive to install (cost of builder fitting solar versus cost of electrician wiring the electric ones)

It looks like it takes about a minute to install the solar module, according to this Velux video so not a lot of extra effort for the builder

We went electric (not solar) Integra - was zero additional effort for the roofer as he just dropped the power cable into the house, it's fitted to the room side of the window. It was quite long and had a plug top so was easy to test before access got tricky.

We also have motorised blinds on top of a few units, these run off a 12v plug into the main window unit (I did this bit myself once roofers installed it and poked the blinds cable through.

My experience with roofers is that they don't spend a lot of time installing Velux and they can skimp on the by the book installation instructions, removing from frame to square, using all the supplied insulation & fixings etc so I'd be wary of ensuring they did that part correctly!

I also wanted to avoid any maintenance issues around panel & battery life etc.

We have 2 solar Velux windows. As far as I know, they were no more difficult to fit than non-solar ones. There were some problems making the final mechanical connections, but these were overcome after speaking to Velux.

We've had them up for 2 years (so can't comment on the longevity of the batteries) and they've worked very well. the rain sensor is a great feature.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you everyone for your responses.  All good helpful stuff.  One more question on choice of Velux finish in bathrooms.  The size we want 94 x 98 for the bathroom only comes in white painted finish.  Does anyone have experience of installing a white painted in a bathroom, and has maintenance been an issue?  Or did you opt for the near maintenance free polyurethane finish?  We'll also have MVHR so hopefully most of the moisture will be drawn out of the bathrooms anyway