Can't tell you what they are like to live with yet but we have just installed shadow gaps using the renderplas sgl20 profile. Biggest issue is that it messes up the normal order of doing things, so we ve had to tile before plasterboard, and upstairs we ve had to install the plasterboard with a 15mm gap beneath it, whilst still allowing for the expansion behind it. 

I have some spare if you want some at a good price!

I'll let you know in the new year. We're putting them only where we have hard floors as felt the extra hoovering the carpeted area needs puts more risk of damage and therefore skirting would be better.

How do you plan to create the gap, We've gone with pre-finished Aluminium profiles, makes the job quite easy.

This is the renderplas bead....

Going to get a professional silicone bead person (I m told they exist) to come round after and ensure a nice finish and no dust gets behind (probably get away without it but will just give it that final finish).

IMG_3998.JPG

Edited by Trw144

Thanks for the 'how to' information, it is very useful.  I haven't quite decided if we shall use shadow gaps or recessed skirting- simply because I don't know how it will 'weather' over time.

But very tempting all the same!

20 hours ago, Trw144 said:

This is the renderplas bead....Going to get a professional silicone bead person (I m told they exist)

They do indeed. Just Google 'Mastic Contractor'.

Good ones are very fast and very accurate and worth every penny.

Its normally quoted at linear meter rate.

5 hours ago, 2104GJ said:

Thanks for the 'how to' information, it is very useful.  I haven't quite decided if we shall use shadow gaps or recessed skirting- simply because I don't know how it will 'weather' over time.

But very tempting all the same!

Ive installed a great number of shadow margins over the last 30 years Back in the day it was galvanised metal or nothing

Ive used both plastic and metal The metal are far more durable and less prone to crack