Marking out foundations

Vijay

Evening,

I'm going to give marking out a go and see how I get on. I plan on using normal tape measures, string and stakes.

On and old post, it advised using 2 vertical stakes with a board across it which is set back from the corner so I can dig without disturbing them (so 4 vertical stakes for each corner). Are these vertical stakes set at any particular width, like wall or foundation width, or are these taken/marked from the horizontal board?

Most of the rooms are rectangles, so I plan on using the 3:4:5 rule, then measuring across the corners to make sure they are spot on. Any other tips?

Cheers

Vijay

Make them atleast 500mm long so you have plenty of scope to move the line. Start of just by getting one gable and either the front or back wall square. Good old pythgoras will do this. Then you can do the other gable using the front or back that you know is square and parallel. Then it's just the missing front or back wall. Check all the diagonals to make sure they are whatever they are supposed to be. Depending on the length and what your tape stretches like it they are within 5-10mm it will be fine.

That should give you a basic rectangle/square so from here you can easily parallel of the inside walls. 

The two vertical sticks and horizontal stick are known as profiles.  Make them as wide as the trench you are digging for the footings. The bricklayers will use them for setting out the blockwork.  the horizontals should all be level with each other.

For my footings I just marked on the ground with spray paint the centre of each trench to be dug as it's easy to dig to just a centreline.

Cheers guys, appreciate the advice :)

Oz07, I ready about making a string corner marker - "A loop of (non-stretch) string that's a multiple of 12 of the unit of your choice in circumference, with 3 knots or marks at suitable points so the gaps between them are 3, 4 & 5. That, plus maybe a nail or screw or two, & Bob's your right angle. "

My footings are 600 wide so I'll make the horizontal on the profiles that wide then. I'll also do a centre line for digging.

Should the horizontals be set at a specific height, like FFL or just set to get a datum point?

The important thing is the horizontals must all be level with each other. The bricklayers will run strings between them at the outer edge of the blockwork, and drop down from that to check their position and height.

I try to go for dpc just makes life easier for seeing where the building will sit in relation to ground sometimes if far enough away you can leave I'm and measure off when you come to landscape. 

I suppose that string method sounds fine. Whatever works for you I often check the diagonals once I've got 4 square lines up anyway. As has been said 10mm in 10-20metres will be fine. Could be slack in the tape

• 2 months later...

Started this today and went pretty well. Measure diagonals and we were pretty spot on. Got loads more to do as we only got the basic shape measured and marked out.

Out of interest, is an acceptable tolerance 10mm in 10 or 20m?

One thing that was a complete pain is trying to drive stakes into the ground straight and on mark - any tips?

More than acceptable. Your tape will stretch or sag a bit over 20m. Remember if you are 10mm out you are more than likely move both 5mm to equal them up.

For that length anything up to 25mm would be fine. If you pull the tape to take out the sag you will more than likely with snap the tape if it's plastic or pull the nail or timber its nailed to out.

As far as possible really I've had them upto 8 metres away on some elevations but when really far away don't rely on pulling a line between two for levels as line will sag. Still okay for measurements though. If you put them strategically you can leave in while landscaping and measure levels off them sometimes

• 1 month later...
On 05/10/2016 at 20:46, Oz07 said:

Elec tape on strings is your friend when using pythagorous or 345 to check square

Just wanted to say what a simple but genius idea, makes marking so much easier :)

• Like 1