Ethernet switch

vivienz

It turns out that I don't have enough data points in what will be my home office/room for doing stuff.  I need a minimum of two - one for my old PC that needs a hard wired connection, and one for my voip phone connection.  I need to have the two together as I still need to send faxes on occasion (our rubbish bank insists on them for certain transaction requests) and use a modem on the PC.

I've looked at D Link and Netgear ethernet switches - does anyone have any experiences or particular recommendations?

For most home users they are all much of a muchness. If I had to choose a basic brand for home use I'd go with either Netgear or TP-Link. Reasonably affordable, Plug and play, Simples.

One thing that concerns me in the above - I'm assuming you are sending faxes and using the PC modem via the VoIP connection? or over a traditional phone line? I've had lots of problems with fax-over-voip in the past - have you tested this configuration?

• Thanks 1

Agreed it can be hit and miss with TP-Link - i'm happy with their switches and powerline adapters, not had much success with their routers and wireless kit.

FWIW - I'm currently using (& happy with) - 

Switches - Juniper, Netgear, TP-Link

Wireless - Ubiquity

Routers (standalone/SOHO) - Draytek

Router/Wireless Combo (for most homes) - Netgear, Draytek