Loo odour extraction system - update

Just now, Onoff said:

I bought a 100mm dia pipe and coupler to extend where the extractor comes up through the ceiling:

20190907_102203

The pipe coming up from thd Geberit cistern into the loft is 32mm solvent weld so I've got a few extra fittings:

20190907_102225

The plan is/was to drill a 36mm OD hole in the side of the pipe then introduce elbow, a straight coupler the other side linked with a short bit of pipe. I'd lay sandpaper on the 100 dia pipe and rub one end of the elbow and coupler on it to concave the faces. This to better mate to the big pipe.

20190907_102322

Looking at it though this I think will severely impede the csa of the 100 dia pipe for it's primary purpose as a room extract, or will it?

I doubt it will make much difference, TBH.  If you want it to work a little better, and have slightly lower flow resistance, add a short length of pipe to the elbow, projecting up the duct a bit.  If you look at the flow resistance caused by a typical extract grille it's probably a lot higher than this thing.

• Thanks 1

Making the solvent weld fittings concave/convex with some 80 grit paper and duct tape!

Easy:

20190907_111959

Not so easy (big hands):

20190907_112243

Should fit nicely:

20190907_113508

20190907_113521

I'm a little concerned about whether the plastic of the extension pipe and coupler are suitable to solvent weld... the (double female) coupler in particular has a softer feel like brown pvc soil pipe does when compared to black/grey solvent weld which always seem more brittle. Soon find out!

20190907_113538

Going about as well as expected! 

Neirher the extension or coupler in any combination are a decent fit onto the fan tube:

20190907_125227

20190907_125207

I think I'll slide the extension tube over the fan tube and seal with copious amounts of CT1. I'll put a couple of wraps of duct tape around the grey fan tube to take up the difference and centre everything. That'll leave the extension tube poking up into the loft.

2019-09-07_01-16-34

Of course where I had to cut into the side of the joist, it was still so tight I can't slide the extension tube on so more deft work with a bfo Starrett!

20190907_125231

All Hoovered up so I can stay in the loft now!

Black, vertical 32mm, coming up through the ceiling will go to the right, under the grey soil. Means lifting the soil a tad and remaking my carefully crafted wooden cradles that support the soil at the mo!

20190907_134406

Not much room between top of ceiling joists and u/s of the grey soil:

20190907_134457

32mm soil will then continue parallel with grey soil into the white, 100mm extension at the end. I'm not going use saddles so as to keep the height down going under the soil:

20190907_135002

20190907_135008

@JSHarris, the elbow inside the duct, how much should I project by with a short bit of pipe?

Cheers 

Edited by Onoff
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Onoff said:

@JSHarris, the elbow inside the duct, how much should I project by with a short bit of pipe?

I'd stick the elbow out so that the pipe is near the centreline of the duct and then add maybe 100 to 1500 of pipe in the elbow, to create a longer length that will help smooth the flow along the outside of the bit of pipe and also improve the suction at the open end a bit.

11 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

I'd stick the elbow out so that the pipe is near the centreline of the duct and then add maybe 100 to 1500 of pipe in the elbow, to create a longer length that will help smooth the flow along the outside of the bit of pipe and also improve the suction at the open end a bit.

D'you mean 100 to 150?

1500's a no no as the flexible duct attaches and there's not a great deal of room under the hip.

Oh impetuous me!

It was going alright...

20190907_152451

Not as easy getting the bits together. The smear of silicone should assist:

20190907_152501

Where I think I've effed up is I put a bead (a big bead) of silicone around where the fan duct comes through the ceiling then pushed the extension tube down into it. Means it'll be stuck to the ceiling plasterboard. Going to be a bitch removing later if the fan goes wrong! Should have taken the fan out and stuck the extension on on the bench. Then waited until it was dry!

20190907_154137

1 hour ago, JSHarris said:

Looks good though, be interesting to see how well it works.  Probably needs a good dietary challenge...

All in, glued and ready to test:

20190907_172620

As last night's beef shatkora etc "went through the system" earlier I needed a source of "odour" and got to thinking of smoke pellets my old man used to get at BG. In the absence of any I had to get inventive. 

Thus a foil tray from a mini quiche was pressed into service (with added foil when I realised it had holes in). A garden test confirmed a rubber glove as a good source of some nice, acrid and more importantly thick black smoke.

With one kid on camera and a second ready to switch on the fan I set fire to the glove. As the video shows, I'm not confident :(

Is this in the fail (phall :) ) / shouldn't have bothered category? Or is it that the smells it's meant to extract will act differently to smoke?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Onoff said:

As last night's beef shatkora etc "went through the system" earlier I needed a source of "odour" and got to thinking of smoke pellets my old man used to get at BG. In the absence of any I had to get inventive. 

Thus a foil tray from a mini quiche was pressed into service (with added foil when I realised it had holes in). A garden test confirmed a rubber glove as a good source of some nice, acrid and more importantly thick black smoke.

With one kid on camera and a second ready to switch on the fan I set fire to the glove. As the video shows, I'm not confident :(

Is this in the fail (phall :) ) / shouldn't have bothered category? Or is it that the smells it's meant to extract will act differently to smoke?

You need to have the seat down and the space over the seat partially closed off, as it would be if sat on it.  This causes the very gentle updraft through the flush holes and pipe to draw most of the air from the closed off area in the pan.  Getting up too quickly after an event tends to make the system work less effectively.  Sitting with a good book, or perhaps a copy of Viz, will give time for the system to flush away the air space in the pan fairly well.

1 minute ago, JSHarris said:

You need to have the seat down and the space over the seat partially closed off, as it would be if sat on it.  This causes the very gentle updraft through the flush holes and pipe to draw most of the air from the closed off area in the pan.  Getting up too quickly after an event tends to make the system work less effectively.  Sitting with a good book, or perhaps a copy of Viz, will give time for the system to flush away the air space in the pan fairly well.

Thanks. I tend to want to leave fairly promptly tbh.

Prepararation is everything!

- 600ml  Cobra

- Chunk Red Fox Red Leicester 

- A Silesian sausage

- Kimchee 

- Handful sweet chilli crisps 

- Packet Wagyu biltong

Roll on tomorrow morning's clear out.

Edit: + Cherry pie & double cream

Edited by Onoff

I'd try it as it is, then see if more suction is needed.  The commercial systems just use a small fan, like a computer cooling fan, to extract air from the cistern and blow it through either the foul drain or an activated carbon filter: http://www.toiletfriend.com/2012/03/18/how-does-the-toilet-odour-removal-system-work/

Well ths jury's still out on the effectiveness of this. I think it works "but could be better". Attempted to "make a seal" but tricky with such a pert tushi! ?

I wonder if the main extractor (top right) is dragging the pan (bottom left) smell out and into the room and that's what's noticeable? 

2019-09-08_03-01-14

Next then to build a Papst fan into a small box and introduce to the 32mm pipe. Then try that without the extractor on.

A good smoke bomb can be made from a pingpong ball or two. Cut balls in to small flakes. Make a foil ball, Fill with the fore mentioned flakes. Pierce several holes in foil and  set alight through said holes. Lob in toilet and wait for the fallout action to happen.

Useless advice for the day. Sorted!

• Haha 1