Basic cement/ ballast Q

zoothorn

@Onoff

hi Onoff thanks.. yes I came across the 1st clip last ev/ saw a few YT ones too. The floor still odd- I read its an after-addition, on most/ standard jobs/ IE put in afterwards. But can't see how this is feasable. Anyway I'm off to dismantle mine. Did last nogs this AM..

002.JPG

• Like 4

7 hours ago, PeterW said:

That looks tidy ..! 

I think you’ll find the floor on that cabin is under the whole unit and extends to the side - those 3x2 bearers run right the way through. 

I dismantled it today in 7rs flat out (not a cuppa offered or a word all day.. £200 deposit last week & £400 paid y'day [+vat too which angered me as its used] so £600 total inc delivery), but, I found it more rotten than I thought in places, tbh I think I've made a mistake.. even if its 1/3rd the cost of a new one. Oh well live & learn. All felt needs replacing (knew unlikely I could re-use/ no major deal), one small front wall section badly rotten tho, rotten roof edges (maybe swizzle round but then roof ridge will have poor solidity/ protection) some water ingress/ some wet between sections generally. Door badly fitting, & 3 small glass panes awol.

But the floor's dry, as are interior walls (alot of spiders- good sign) no evidence of damp or water ingress inside generally.

The (T&G) floor has 3x2 batons under & these are what the walls sit upon, & what the floor's nailed to. So the floor is inside the walls. under Batons wet where contact with ground. The floor's made in sections/ can be split into 3 (the batons go across the LHS of floor, then the middle floor area has batons below, then the RHS like LHS extend just beyond floor so wall sits on).

So I've got to figure out what to do, to get my insulation below the floor.

15 hours ago, PeterW said:

Is the roof made of sheet or timber planks ..? I’d bin the current one and make one from 18mm OSB and it will be fine. 

Its made of t&groove 18mm timber planks.. 5" of each end rotten/ bc not enough felt to wrap around lip.

I was surprised of overall weight of whole thing- bit worried if Ive got sufficient support. I think maybe the frame sides are ok..

But the back & front cabin beams I'm concerned about: bc back one (on far stream side join) is just screwed onto the long side end, & front beam across @ plinth only screwed to side beam (same far side long beam). The top side have support directly onto the plinths (my placcy riser underneath their ends).. but stream side, they're just supported by 2 turbo screws.

15 hours ago, PeterW said:

Is the roof made of sheet or timber planks ..? I’d bin the current one and make one from 18mm OSB and it will be fine. 

Peter- I'm still not quite getting the floor idea. This floor's in 3 sections I can lock together. Timber batons underneath, fixed across each section, whose ends stick out.. & the wall sits upon these in 4 or so places (you can see on my close up pic). How the cabin walls sit upon the back & front.. tbh I can't remember (my damn cam didn't work all day).

If I substitute these baton ends (the load points) for your 3x2 idea laid flat, & remove the batons from the floor & re-use the floor wood (not easy with 100 nails tho), I have the cabin walls on the 3x2, & I can fix my floor to the excess bit inside. The 3x2 is 47mm high, celotex is 50mm. So if I were to 'fill' the inside with c'tex I need to make up this 3mm deficit. That's my 1st head scratch.. unless I'm being thick.

My 2nd head scratch is if I do this, my floor will fix to perimeter (3x2) fine, once I somehow make up this 3mm deficit that is, but will not be fixed over the whole floor area but 'just sit on' the c'tex. Is this basically your idea? or would I need some 2x2 cross-batons for the floor to additionally fix to (+ the 3mm of something to make up the height), then the gaps between filled with c'tex.

It seems complicated & therefore I'm very likely missing something.. or being stupid.