B.Regs confusion (zoot's ext).

zoothorn

1 minute ago, zoothorn said:

Yes I 've got in in Word 07.. but like before I can get the cursor flashing/ ready on a box.. but I can't put any text in.

I've just opened it in Word 2007 and it seems fine, although some of the text formatting isn't very tidy (different fonts scattered around the place etc)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok putting this aside for now. I'll need to call the national Portal number whatever it was, to guide me to wherever an accessible version of this form might lurk. Portal.. name's not lost on me/ its definitely a joke.

I need to try & understand the bigger picture of 'Building Regs', before I put in for the applications. At the moment I do not understand the "power" they have. What I mean: I have made a design > its gone to a pro to draw > submitted for PP > granted. Ok from my pov, the design has unoquivocally been green lit/ I can do it. But becauise it is so damn complicated, I naturally have my doubts & do not know if there's now yet another "room" (call it another 'stage') of "checks" to determine, if I can build my design, or not. If so, does this Building Regs avenue have the determination?

So to go back a step, I need to understand IF the build has ACTUALLY been granted permission- or, have I not yet been granted permission? IE do the 'Building Regulations" officer , or does the BCO (is this the same thing?) now have the final say?

Am I entering a whole new arena of misery & checks over my fun damentals of my design, like my outlines/ where I want my walls, how high the roof is/ basic page 1 stuff like this.. or.. has this been determined absolutely by the PP dept, as being fine?

13 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

I've just opened it in Word 2007 and it seems fine, although some of the text formatting isn't very tidy (different fonts scattered around the place etc)

Its definitely not working for me. I click on the flashing cursor, try entering text/ or a number/ anything & nothing happens, cursor just keeps flashing. Its in word 2007, I have it in my bar btm of page (V) ready to dip into. It does look a bit messy so seems like we have a similar page open.

6 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Ok putting this aside for now. I'll need to call the national Portal number whatever it was, to guide me to wherever an accessible version of this form might lurk. Portal.. name's not lost on me/ its definitely a joke.

I need to try & understand the bigger picture of 'Building Regs', before I put in for the applications. At the moment I do not understand the "power" they have. What I mean: I have made a design > its gone to a pro to draw > submitted for PP > granted. Ok from my pov, the design has unoquivocally been green lit/ I can do it. But becauise it is so damn complicated, I naturally have my doubts & do not know if there's now yet another "room" (call it another 'stage') of "checks" to determine, if I can build my design, or not. If so, does this Building Regs avenue have the determination?

So to go back a step, I need to understand IF the build has ACTUALLY been granted permission- or, have I not yet been granted permission? IE do the 'Building Regulations" officer , or does the BCO (is this the same thing?) now have the final say?

Am I entering a whole new arena of misery & checks over my fun damentals of my design, like my outlines/ where I want my walls, how high the roof is/ basic page 1 stuff like this.. or.. has this been determined absolutely by the PP dept, as being fine?

Building regs is really just a check that what's been built complies, nothing more.  The only real design aspects building regs impacts in this case are the structural design (which in your case is just using standard details), the escape from fire regs (fine in your case, as you have a large opening on the first floor), the pitch angle, rise and going of the staircase, plus the height of the handrail and ensuring there is no gap larger than 100mm either between the treads or between the parts making up the balustrade (headroom isn't an issue in your case) and the width of the new external door, together with the height of its threshold.  This is all just bread and butter stuff, which your builder will have dealt with many times before.

As I understand it you already have planning consent, and the only thing you need to clarify is the means of disposal of surface water (rainwater from the new roof) which I'm assuming will be to an existing soakaway.  There is no change to foul drainage and no change to the water supply, as neither room in the extension has any plumbing. 

14 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

Building regs is really just a check..

Thanks for clarifying all that JSH: just what I needed. Right I'm a bit more settled someone isn't gonna come along with a clipboard saying "ooh naa- can't do that". One reason I think I'm -still- worried this may happen, is the proximity of my top corner to the adjacent lane/ road (only 2m away at this closet point), and more specifically too, the situation of having scaffolding here (which I'd assume would be needed, around this corner point).

IE if for some unforseen reason this Building Control Officer person (or the B.Regs chap) comes out & says either the corner is "too close to road, bc its inner skin is timber frame (fire risk)" and/ or "too close to road, bc scaffold will jutt out into road a wee bit > we cannot have this > you have to shift this corner IN"...... it would mean the whole build is not conceivable as a design. The whole thing is a no-go.

Can I absolutely say for certain, that this corner point HAS been given the OK, & this Building Regs/ Control department -cannot- override PP's green-light on it?

2m from the road should be OK - should be able to get a scaffold in that space OK.  The inner skin being timber frame doesn't affect anything; it's only the outer skin that may have to be fire resistant/able to resist the spread of fire if close to a boundary, and then only normally if that's a boundary to a neighbouring property.  If your outer skin is masonry (i.e. brick or rendered block) then that's fine.

1 hour ago, JSHarris said:

It's the internal floor area of both floors.  Each floor has an internal area of 14.43m² (3.7m x 3.9m), so both floors added together = 28.86m²

Ah ok understood. Ok tallies with me then. So I know the right fee ammount (& know what I'm paying for exactly- site visits etc).

Ok the actual application form I needed was on the Portal page (but called instead "Application for Building Control" so I'd no idea this was apply for Building Regs). So I can do as per y'day & forget trying to access word or pdf docs > to send. Nice & clear pages to follow.

What it needs though of course, is to add an attatchment of the build plan. Here is where I might be stumped, bc I don't know whether the decision to 'grant me' "Building Control" is based upon the design in any way.

31 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

2m from the road should be OK - should be able to get a scaffold in that space OK.  The inner skin being timber frame doesn't affect anything; it's only the outer skin that may have to be fire resistant/able to resist the spread of fire if close to a boundary, and then only normally if that's a boundary to a neighbouring property.  If your outer skin is masonry (i.e. brick or rendered block) then that's fine.

Ok that's reassured me JSH. I know I asked this before.. but great to get an opinion that's coincides & confirms what I think PeterW said.

Right, I'm all prepped ready to apply for this now: & been on phone (helpful woman got me to the right Portal place/ B. Control apply etc) who said there's actually no delay/ wait for a 'decision' too.. its just given. That's a relief.

SO.. now/ finally I'm in a position to consider the Build Plan I need to do. Last Step!!

terrific help- thx so much. zoot

24 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Ah ok understood. Ok tallies with me then. So I know the right fee ammount (& know what I'm paying for exactly- site visits etc).

Ok the actual application form I needed was on the Portal page (but called instead "Application for Building Control" so I'd no idea this was apply for Building Regs). So I can do as per y'day & forget trying to access word or pdf docs > to send. Nice & clear pages to follow.

What it needs though of course, is to add an attatchment of the build plan. Here is where I might be stumped, bc I don't know whether the decision to 'grant me' "Building Control" is based upon the design in any way.

There's normally no need to attach plans to a Building Notice application, that bit's usually for a full plans submission, I think.  Probably wouldn't hurt to attach the planning drawings, just in case, though.  The only design aspects that building control will be concerned with are those mentioned earlier.

5 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

There's normally no need..

No I think you're right & I don't need to attatch plan- Id prefer not too, as it'll be less 'pro' than they're used to seeing & will be leaving out all the existing house xyz/ builder said don't need it.

Right then on to do the plan/ new thread, clear my head- I'll take a photo of the EG plan my builder's given me.

Many thanks- zoot

19 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

And another Q- " Does the application include replacement windows/doors?".. are my new ones replacements?

I'd put "yes", as the new doors and windows will have to comply with building regs, whereas the chances are that your existing ones don't (regs have tightened up a fair bit of doors and windows in the last couple of decades or so).

4 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

I'd put "yes", as the new doors and windows will have to comply with building regs, whereas the chances are that your existing ones don't (regs have tightened up a fair bit of doors and windows in the last couple of decades or so).

But if I click yes then a drop down menu appears: "What windows/doors are you replacing?" pls select: front elevation, side 1, side 2, rear elevation.

Is it not implying asking if I'm replacing any existing ones?

1 minute ago, zoothorn said:

But if I click yes then a drop down menu appears: "What windows/doors are you replacing?" pls select: front elevation, side 1, side 2, rear elevation.

Is it not implying asking if I'm replacing any existing ones?

That looks to be a different form to the one your local authority use.  I'd just say "no", as all this stuff is irrelevant to a building notice application, really.

Seems a lot more faff than the simple two page form from your LABC to me.  I'd have been inclined to just print off the local form, fill in the half dozen fields and then post it off to your local authority.

All your local authority seem to need is your name, address, address where the work will take place, very brief description (type, number of storeys,  total internal floor area), a site/location plan, the fee and details of how surface water will be disposed of.

This form I was prompted to in fact, by my LABC (or a very helpful woman who seemed at 'reception' to both PP dept & BC dept). I think its the new "electronic" way maybe. As my NMA was sent via the same system y'day, I'm inclined to go with it.. besides it means I don't have to print/ post, & saves time. It is very well designed.. just getting to it was like a needle in the hay.

Its just more jargon to wade through that's all. Anyway it asked for supporting docs, so I've just flung in your two 1086-11b, 12b (A3) again plus the 1086-13 'zoomed out/ overview' I hope again is the "location plan" (once more deemed a neccessity to include ,like the NMA).

Crikey I can't wait to be done with all this forms/ red tape/ rules. I've taken two photos of the build-plan-EG my builder's given me: will need one last thread to see best way I can replicate something similar. Zoot's Build Plan maybe.

much appreciated JSH. zoot

10 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

[By the way- your pic: are you in a homemade jamesbond girocoptor with guns & stuff on?]

Sadly not, it's my old single seat aeroplane.  No guns or missiles.  This one (a much younger me...) had a fairly big bomb bay, though

74088634_WT309-lasttrialssortie.thumb.jpg.21c0f7116b44d200040542a6cec52d96.jpg

RAF? my grandad was an RAF flight lftnnt in 30's: he attempted the world endurance record UK to Aus, in a Puss Moth, (along with other famous pioneers of the time) & crashed in dolomites '32 & was lauded up by mussolini's Co in the papers (even himself?) having rescued them.. tho a farmer did actually of course. Brave this lot- must have been so damn cold, & noisy too.