Boiler Position for Underground Heat Source System

patp

We are planning an underground heat source pump system.

Where do people site their boilers. We have heard that they can be noisy.

We did away with the integral garage in favour of a large utility room. The utility room is a fair distance from all living areas.

There will be a workshop as part of a triple bay garage a short distance from the house.

Would the noise be invasive when using the utility room? I am quite noise sensitive.

Would there be heat coming from the boiler in the summer? The dog may sleep in there.

A ground source heat pump is no more noisy than a traditional gas boiler. In fact they are relatively quieter. 40-50dB at 1-2m distance from the unit is not uncommon, so just above a quiet library or just below a dishwasher.

Personally, I would happily have one in a utility room if it is indeed separated from the rest of the house by a wall/door. Another common location is plantroom in side the house (same thing/different name) or in an attached garage.

6 minutes ago, BotusBuild said:

A ground source heat pump is no more noisy than a traditional gas boiler. In fact they are relatively quieter. 40-50dB at 1-2m distance from the unit is not uncommon, so just above a quiet library or just below a dishwasher.

Personally, I would happily have one in a utility room if it is indeed separated from the rest of the house by a wall/door. Another common location is plantroom in side the house (same thing/different name) or in an attached garage.

I am the person that complains about the noise of the fridge, so I would not want one in the house.  I even went to the trouble of changing the UFH circulating pumps for a better make because they were too noisy.

Dave, Noise level sensitivity is a very personal thing and positioning becomes a critical factor as in your case. I am just sharing some facts on which other reader can base their views - I spent a few years designing and having heat pumps (air and ground source) installed in various domestic situations, and the first set of questions I asked any new owner was about how they viewed fridge/freezer/washing machine/dishwasher noise. If the design/planning/build timing was appropriate, I would recommend a sound insulated plant room for the more sensitive customers.