Chlorination testing anyone had to do this

janedevon

Anglian water threatened me with this one, but on discussion with the local surveying guy we decided that it wasn't going to be necessary as it was below 100m in length (in reality probably very close to this) and I assured him that I would flush it through thoroughly before linking up with the house plumbing.

18 hours ago, janedevon said:

So the next stage in water conmection is the need for a chlorination test as my run of 25mm pipe is over 50 meters, has anyone done this and any idea of cost!

When we had a main diverted it was included in the original bill/quote.

As I remember the test involved putting chlorine in the pipe, waiting a few days, sampling the water, and sending it off for tests. If OK then they have to come back and turn on the water within a certain time period. The problem happens if they don't do all this within the prescribed timescale.. they have to start over. That's exactly what happened to us. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys,

we werent getting away with it had to get it done, no one oddly wanted to know far too busy, eventually got someone  booked for monday, for the small price of £420!!!!

daylight robbery but hey ho something else crossed off the list.

So just what did they do for their £420?

I am a bit of a simpleton, so can someone explain to me how a 50 metre pipe can cause a problem with chlorine?  Surely the amount of chlorine in the water is what leaves the treatment plant. If your 50M of pipe is going to cause an issue, then why does the several miles of pipe between the treatment plant and your house not cause an issue?

Chlorination is the other way - shock dose the pipe at an agreed amount of chlorine at a certain ppm, wait for it to disinfect and then run it though. Wait a certain time and sample the pipe, then culture the water to see what grows. 

Its effectively a disinfection test