Recommendations for a Bug Zapper

4 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

Interesting little insight into changing attitudes.

I am being discouraged from getting the Lakeland Sunflower one on the basis that the £2 post and packaging cost will be saved if we wait until we next need a set of oven gloves or three and can get over the minimum £40 order in 6 months time or so, or if we wait until we next get to a Lakeland shop.

As dad used to say - "in some ways we still live in the 50s".

This is probably why my garage is full of bits of wood.

Just had a look they have the same brand on Amazon and a but cheaper plus free delivery.....to be fair I would not have paid that delivery charge from Lakeland either they ( I bought mine in the shop) are flat and fit in an envelope! 

A730DB90-8B6C-4B84-AFD8-7019350FD0DC.jpeg

9 hours ago, Dreadnaught said:

How on earth do spiders get in to your airtight house I wonder?

I've twice seen spiders drop off the bottom of the entrance door when I've opened it. They get disposed of very quickly if I see them. In the summer we leave doors and windows open so plenty of time for them to come in.

The only way spiders seem to get in to our house (or used to) was when a door was opened.  As @PeterStarck says, they seem to congregate at the bottom of outside doors and run in when the door is opened.

I've completely stopped this now, with a diluted peppermint oil spray.  It seems spiders don't much like the smell of peppermint, so stay away from it.  Since using this we've had no spiders coming in through the doors at all.  The only downside is that you have to spray the door threshold every 2 to 3 weeks, as the peppermint oil slowly evaporates.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lizzie said:

Just had a look they have the same brand on Amazon and a but cheaper plus free delivery.....to be fair I would not have paid that delivery charge from Lakeland either they ( I bought mine in the shop) are flat and fit in an envelope! 

A730DB90-8B6C-4B84-AFD8-7019350FD0DC.jpeg

Bugger.

Placed my Lakeland order this AM.

That's what I get for not working it.

1 hour ago, JSHarris said:

I've completely stopped this now, with a diluted peppermint oil spray. 

Brilliant! Good scientist that you are, I assume you worked methodically through your pantry cupboard until you hit upon peppermint. I can imagine the process… coffee powder, lemon, chilli powder, marmite… before the Eureka moment! :D

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

@lizziesunflower fly-trap seems to work.

9BFD091C-AC17-49B6-B110-72869DBB078F.thumb.jpeg.ff2b349a3cfad7d8c1063300fbc084fe.jpeg 

Slightly too many hoverflies for my comfort, mind. £1 not bad for 3 months.

Whilst the fruit fly trap seems to suggest either that it is ineffective, or we have no fruit flies. Complete Nellie the Elephant For here.

FF9D1397-5882-4BA0-9ED6-7D2CD537DA47.thumb.jpeg.761c25d3a83a6520239beef04ebb42e7.jpeg

Edited by Ferdinand