Electric showers: switch on, get wet, jump back and ...

... you know the routine. 

Why does the commonest  electric shower layout require you to get wet while switching the damn thing on?

Eh? Tell me that? 

Has any company recognised this is an issue and done something about it? 

Triton T300 (called 'Wireless') connects a control panel via CAT5 (I think) to  a unit which sits the other side of a stud wall (or in a cupboard).  (Here's a  review of one that broke down) Some customers report they have worked well for many years. They are sometimes called digital electric showers. Others are less than impressed. I suspect complexity and over-thinking (Ha! That's a first for me - suggesting overthinking) 

Whats wrong with simplicity?

The  shower unit is switched on in a dry area of the shower room, and a pipe delivers water to the riser rail a meter or so away?

Please, I know many here loathe electric showers. I don't. We've firmly decided on electric showers.

I can't see any obvious reason why an electric shower couldn't be installed the same way I installed our mixer shower, with the controls outside the wet area and a pipe running under the floor and up to the shower head at the wet end:

5746b2101427d_Bathroom1shower.thumb.JPG.a03dc901550b00844ed4a5ca2a3f69ae.JPG

There's an extra advantage to fitting an electric shower like this, in that it keeps the cable run etc out of the wet area.

3 minutes ago, joe90 said:

BUT, if the mixer is that far away from the shower head how long does it take fir a change in temp of the water take?

Doesn't seem to be a problem in practice, at least we've not noticed any variation in temperature at all.  The same goes for the shower at our old house, as I fitted that in a similar way, with the mixer at the opposite end to the shower head.

• Like 1

It is as much to do with shower cubicle / door layouts.

At our old house the shower had a sliding door that opened at the shower head end. You could open it, turn on the shower and the (initially) cold blast of water missed your hand and arm,  In the flat we have been renting for 2 weeks the fixed screen forces you to reach in, turn it on, and get a cold arm.