The Margin of Error?

Barney12

You're about 10-15  years out of date with regards how the industry works. Yes, there are hobbyists that don't have access to the current tools, the software costs are prohibitive, so use old methods but mainstream design starts with Alias StudioTools/AutoStudio models. Only once a firm theme is chosen is a clay CNC cut to that model which is further finessed by hand. Any modifications being scanned and brought back into the Master studio 3D. 

Clay modelling is slow and expensive. The Automotive design process is constantly evolving, and improving, to reduce lead times and associated costs. 

Trust me, I've been in the industry 30 years and have worked in probably half of the major OEM Studios in Europe. The OEM Studios I am at presently really only produce a physical clay for management sign off and I haven't seen a tape drawing anywhere in at least 10 years.

Edited by IanR

5 hours ago, Sensus said:

And I struggle to believe that the earliest sketch ideas are done with a computer rather than a pencil or marker pen... that's simply not the way that any creative designer of any flavour works, in my experience. As I've said, computers simply still lack the fluidity to be effective design tools at this earliest stage.

But that's a gap in your knowledge/experience. "CAD" has no such shortfalls, it's a generic term that covers 100's of different software packages. Use the wrong tool for the job, or lack experience in that tool and you're restricted on what can be done with it, but don't blame "CAD".

Departing from the CAD argument and back to the planning.

If I have a dwelling which is 100m2 what are the implications of changing it from 2 bed to 3 bed. The approved plans show 2 bed with a space for 3rd bedroom but without the partition which would close off the space.

The application went to committee, while parish recommended approval, planners recommended refusal. Application was eventually approved with reference to two bedroomed dwelling. Much reference was also made to two bedrooms and lack of smaller housing in village in the planning documents. If the dwelling isn't being made any larger can they refuse you a third bedroom? Could this bedroom just be referred to as office?!

The house has 2 parking spaces shown which would be appropriate for 3 beds with this local authority.

You don't need planning for changing/modifying internal layout. So you can stick with whichever scenario is most likely to win your planning application. The drawings for building regs will need to reflect the internal layout, up to a point as you shouldn't need those for an internal lightweight stud wall either. Building regs and planning are separate. They don't communicate with each other much, unless you force them to, as in a case of a listed building, as I have had to in order to get building control to back down on certain points because of the listing. 

On 9/30/2016 at 20:14, Oz07 said:

That's how I understood it. Upto you what you do with the shell. Just found the constant reference to 2 bedroom throughout planning application statement and reports. 

Planners work in mysterious ways. Its quite possible they are/were personally happy with you building a three bedroom house of that size but needed to be able to claim that overall the department was/is meeting local demand for two bed houses.  

As others have said.. you don't need planning permission to divide a room in two or rename a home office into a bedroom later unless there is a specific planning condition attached to the grant that precludes this. Such conditions are rare.

It's quite possible that by counting your build as a 2 bed rather that a 3 bed then the planning officer might have an easier time justifying a 4 bed up the road to the committee. Who knows. A lot of nonsense goes on and as long as you can build what you need it shouldn't matter. 

Just remember that dividing or renaming a room may have building control implications so they may need to be involved/informed even if the planners don't.