Free Planning Permission and Pre-Application Advice?

RobinH

I read an article the other day which I believe said that for some  circumstances of Self or Custom Build there was no fees for pre-application advice or the actual Planning permission.  I thought this amazing and was going to come back to check it out but unfortunately I have lost the link. Searching for it again has drawn a blank, and all LA's appear to charge whether its self build or not. Anyone else come across this?  ( I don't mean zero CIL contributions by the way)

16 minutes ago, RobinH said:

I read an article the other day which I believe said that for some  circumstances of Self or Custom Build there was no fees for pre-application advice or the actual Planning permission.  I thought this amazing and was going to come back to check it out but unfortunately I have lost the link. Searching for it again has drawn a blank, and all LA's appear to charge whether its self build or not. Anyone else come across this?  ( I don't mean zero CIL contributions by the way)

the only circumstances I'm aware of where the PP process is free is for Listed Building Consent.

It seems you weren't wrong. Some give free pre-app advice (at least they did in 2016)..

https://www.local.gov.uk/sites/default/files/documents/planning-self-and-custom--edc.pdf

Local Government Association
Planning for Self- and Custom-build housing
June 2016

snip

Plymouth have a dedicated self-build planning officer who provides free pre-app advice and meets on-site to go through potential issues and to offer guidance on how to gain planning permission.

Crash Bang ... the sound of my jaw hitting the floor.

Edited by Temp

Highland Council won't do meetings (on site or in their offices) or even phone calls for pre-app advice but if you put in a detailed written proposal they'll give a detailed response for free. I found the response on mine very helpful. E.g, it probably saved me a good few thousands on the routing of the entrance track.