Moisture resistant plasterboard?

Trw144

Just want a bit of advice/input on plastering near a shower.

I m having a 1100 x 2000m shower in our ensuite, using Fiora shower trays and wall panels (a type of composite material for those that don't know it...  www.fiora.es)

My plan was to use the waterproof Fiora panels on the 2m wall and 1.1m wall, but at the other end of the shower I did nt want to use the panels but instead have a plaster finish so it does nt feel so enclosed. The wall may get the odd splash but I don't think it should be too bad. My question is - what should I use of this wall - green moisture resistant plasterboard or something else? It will then be skimmed and then I planned on using one of the bathroom paints suitable for steamy/wetter environments?

I ll do a quick sketch to help show the layout...

Green, without a doubt.  It's just not worth the risk of using anything else.  You also need to think of how you are going to do your skirting treatment.  You mention "the odd splash", but this is all going to run down the wall and over your skirting

How long then can you leave green plasterboard outside, stacked against a wall but well covered with tarps whilst at the same time well ventilated? Also on battens to keep it off the deck.

A bloke I know bought his last month but hasn't yet got it on the walls.....:ph34r:

• Like 2

Green plasterboard and water resistant paint should be fine, I have a similar shower 1.6m long and tbh it never gets more than the odd splash at the far end from the shower head, even the tray stays dry.

I also rent a flat where there are only around 800mm of tiles full height at one end of the bath to use the shower and then half height tiles and painted plasterboard after that. Until I pointed out to the landlord that it would rot it was painted with matt emulsion and still survived constantly getting splashed and drying out. It still has the original bathroom from 25 years ago.

The areas to worry about are at the bottom where the water lands these, need to be sealed properly. A tiny hole in the shower screen at the bottom on the same bathroom as above lead to the wall needing to be replaced as it was saturated.

4 hours ago, Trw144 said:

I m using shadow gap everywhere else but I assume I wont use it here and will have a silicone bead or similar at the junction of the plaster onto the fiora shower tray?

I'd buy 1100 or 1200mm wall panels for each end and make a splash proof area, in the interest of longevity. I don't like to see the cubicle finishing tight on the edge but that's just me. 

1 hour ago, Nickfromwales said:

I'd buy 1100 or 1200mm wall panels for each end and make a splash proof area, in the interest of longevity. I don't like to see the cubicle finishing tight on the edge but that's just me. 

Sorry nick, don't quite follow what your saying.  Can I have it in laymans terms or a diagram !!?

Panel all 3 vertical walls.  

If you have an 1100 tray then an 1100 wall panel will have very little meat left for screwing / fixing the chrome wall channel ( for the glass )  to. 

I don't like the idea of water ever getting to a painted plastered wall. At the very least I'd want an Upstand of similar material for the tray / wall junction. 

• Like 1