VAT on 'design and supply'

Our EPS has been invoiced as 'design and supply' and VAT at 20% has been charged. There is no breakdown in the overall fee as to what is design and what the materials cost. Am I right in thinking that I can only reclaim the VAT on the materials and so I will need to go back to the suppliers and get them to split it out?

Is it like getting delivery of a TF kit? I’m not clear what the job entails. Can you get them to raise the invoice to say supply only? I would think you should be able to claim the VAT back anyway TBH but might prevent a challenge if it says supply only. 

The EPS supplier has done some design work which is separate to that of the structural engineer. It partly helps them figure out how much material to send us. Only a drawing or two, so I suspect a small proportion of the overall fee.

I suspect getting them to say supply only would be easier.

42 minutes ago, ragg987 said:

Could you not ask them to zero rate it under design and supply? 

You can only get supply and fit arrangements zero rated. 

Mixed supply should be at the lowest rate. Eg "Supply and fit" should all be zero rated as labor is zero rated.

I believe both "design" and "supply" are standard rated. Normally only materials/supply can be reclaimed but I think you might ok if it's not itemised.