Please recommend a clear silicone that won’t discolour

joe90

I have lots of gaps between brickwork and painted timber and oak stuff, very quickly it’s become a hidey hole  for spiders etc, to cure this I plan to use clear silicone so I don’t compromise the rough nature of the brickwork or chrisp edges of painted timber or Oak detailing, my worry is some silicone discolours and I don’t want to have to do this too often. I don’t mind paying for a decent product so I only do this once ?. So what would you recommend?

I would have thought it more common if brick to oak to use a brown sealant like:

https://www.toolstation.com/window-door-external-frame-sealant-300ml/p76921?store=O2&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googleshoppingfeed&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-7iy8v6G4wIVBp7VCh0i3goPEAYYASABEgIC1_D_BwE

problem is the colour rarely matches exactly. But not sure how clear would look - maybe try it and see if it looks ok.

For my windows (green windows and stone walls) I just jointed the gaps with mortar and this has been fine with just occasional cracking from differential movement.

• Like 1

@jfb as you say colour match is difficult and in another location (oak stairs) it annoys me where coloured caulk was used. Despite being “cottagey” I like the chrisp edge of painted timber or chrisp edge of the oak conservatory. I think clear sealer would be better as long as it stays clear? (And keeps the spiders out).

I used Tec 7 to seal up my shower and it is still looking good 5 years on. The only thing is it wouldn't get any direct sunshine which might be an issue no matter what one you end up using.

What about using some putty instead. 

• Like 1

Clear silicone also reflects the light.

I have it around the edge of my vinyl laminate flooring.

It is mostly invisible but if the light catches it is shines.

Forgot to say, it has never discoloured & is 10 years old.

Edited by Moira Niedzwiecka
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Moira Niedzwiecka said:

It is mostly invisible but if the light catches it is shines.

Yes, I have it around my kitchen floor to seal it to the kick board, and yes if the light catches it it shines but I don’t see that as a problem. Anything solid (cement) won’t flex with the wood against brick joint.

moira, do you know the make of the silicone you used.?

Edited by joe90

@joe90 No idea which silicone.

I had it fitted by a contractor about 10 years ago in my present house. I doubt it was anything special.

I have just had vinyl laminate fitted in the new build & they have used clear silicone on the edges again.

Different contractor & only in the last few weeks so no idea if this one will discolour.

Fingers crossed it doesn't.

If you are sealing windows internally & it is not subject to weather or excessive sunlight I would have thought you will be ok with clear.

White is always a bit of a problem & yellows I find.

• Like 1