Kingspan Timber Frame 89mm external frame ??

colin7777

Hi All,

We have received a number of Timber Frame quotes, all have stated 140mm external wall frame thickness but Kingspan use 89mm external frame thickness.

Would the thickness have any impact on the strength of the overall building.

Is it a cost saving method that they are using and just creating larger profit as the prices are coming out similar to other quotes.

Has anyone used Kingspan Timber frame, feedback welcomed

Thanks

Colin

Thank you for all the replies, it is their Ultima solution, there will be additional insulation added beyond the 89mm thickness frame and I did notice that some companies including Kingspan quote U values including plasterboard and also brick external construction, so I have tried to strip out the extras and compare based purely on the amount of insulation.

My interest was why do all the other timber frame companies use 140mm frame and Kingspan offer 89mm frame. 

Is the frame going to be as secure with  reduced thickness of wood

Why don't others use 89mm frame as I am sure it must be a cost saving in the amount of wood used.

Thanks

Colin

Mostly because fitting very thick insulated plasterboard is costly and complicated versus the standard method of using full fill panels. The cost of 130mm PUR is probably less than the cost of 85mm plus 45mm insulated plasterboard as that needs 75mm board screws and makes creating service voids a pain. You could internally batten and line the whole frame with 50mm insulation but then your frame depth would now be 174mm to get a similar insulation value. 

Structurally an 89mm frame is fine to 2 storey anyway, it’s the rest of the components that are going to add to cost.