Shower Tray on Egger Protect?

Hi All,

Part of the new extension will be fitted with Easi Joists and Egger Protect flooring (glued and sealed as per instructions) as it will be exposed to the elements whilst the build progresses.  Once complete and water tight, I plan on fitting a shower tray (1500 x 800 x 25mm) in the en-suite area.

Can I fit the tray straight onto the Egger protect or should I use a marine ply base? - I want the tray as low as possible so if using a marine ply base is it feasible to remove the Egger protect in the area where the tray will fit and replace with marine ply? from what I have read, the Egger D4 adhesive is very good and much stronger than the flooring so it might be a mission.

Thanks, Wozza.

No ply needed but full compo bed recommended by manufacturers. Seen plenty of plumbers bed on foam. 

Would strongly recommend against hacking sections of egger deck up, its a complete system. Better option would be to overboard all bathroom around tray if you want it 'lower'.

• Thanks 1

Check the MIs carefully but unless you have some strange sadistic tendency I would leave the Egger alone and bed onto a decent cement based tile adhesive. Once you’ve added 5-6mm for UFH in self levelling compound  and then tiles and adhesive, you’ll have a 7-8mm upstand at most and it will be virtually flush from tray to floor.   

• Thanks 1

• 10 months later...
On 15/06/2019 at 11:58, wozza said:

Hi All,

Part of the new extension will be fitted with Easi Joists and Egger Protect flooring (glued and sealed as per instructions) as it will be exposed to the elements whilst the build progresses.  Once complete and water tight, I plan on fitting a shower tray (1500 x 800 x 25mm) in the en-suite area.

Can I fit the tray straight onto the Egger protect or should I use a marine ply base? - I want the tray as low as possible so if using a marine ply base is it feasible to remove the Egger protect in the area where the tray will fit and replace with marine ply? from what I have read, the Egger D4 adhesive is very good and much stronger than the flooring so it might be a mission.

Thanks, Wozza.

Hi Wozza, how did you get on with your shower tray installation?

I am soon to instal my stone resin shower tray 1700 x 900, heavy as you will know, on the same base as you....glued Egger protect on metal web joists.

I have read alot around this......plywood base seems to be for a flat firm base for the tray, which the egger floor provides; and a cement mortar, recommended by tray manufacturers, seems to be for gaining a level base, which my floor already is.

So I was thinking to bed tray on tile adhesive directly to the Egger.....can you recommend a particular brand/type?

Blob 

Hi Blob,

I aint done it yet.

We still have not got the tray (due to concentrating on other things and also Covid19), I have done the downstairs tray, but that was straight onto the screed floor.

I too would be interested in the best adhesive to use, I did speak to Egger - waste of time didn't want to help, and also the shower tray company (Tray Mate UK) and they said to just use sand and cement 1 to 5 as long as the floor is solid and doesn't move.