Triassic

Window Fixing Straps

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

My timber Ali-clad windows are due soon so I need to order all the fixings required to install them. What sort of straps should I be using and how many fixings per window / door (2.4m wide)? Do they just fix at each side or do you need them for the top and bottom rail?

Edited by Triassic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i normally use batt strap cut down to size should be a couple of £ for a 1m length. usually 1 piece top and bottom on both sides and if the window is over 1200 wide then it needs 1 in the middle at the top normally lined up with the mullion, same if they are tall then need one in the middle at the sides, if they are really wide for example 3m then i would put 2 along the top, 

 

i just had a look at your blog and see you are timber frame, up here the windows get battens fixed to them at the correct offset for the cladding then fixed to the house, this means there is no need for batt straps and makes the window install that bit more solid 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Hobbiniho said:

 a look at your blog and see you are timber frame, up here the windows get battens fixed to them at the correct offset for the cladding then fixed to the house, this means there is no need for batt straps and makes the window install that bit more solid 

Too late, the cladding is nearly done and the windows are still in manufacture.

 

I’ll look at batt straps, I was also wondering about builders band, the perforated stuff on a roll?

 

Im going to need around 200 fixings, so ideally they need to be value for money!

 

 

Edited by Triassic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Builders band will be far too thin, has no strength in compression 

buy the 1.5mm straps and cut into 3 bits. 

Will only be £3-4 a window. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Triassic said:

My timber Ali-clad windows are due soon so I need to order all the fixings required to install them. What sort of straps should I be using and how many fixings per window / door (2.4m wide)? Do they just fix at each side or do you need them for the top and bottom rail?

Got mine from SBS Cumbria, Unit 5 Parkside business Park. LA97EN. 25 cost £6.60 incl vat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pete said:

Got mine from SBS Cumbria, Unit 5 Parkside business Park. LA97EN. 25 cost £6.60 incl vat

I assume  that’s £6.60 each? I’ll nip into town later and see what you get for £6.60.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Triassic said:

I assume  that’s £6.60 each? I’ll nip into town later and see what you get for £6.60.

No, £6.60 for 25, cheap as chips mate.

Are your windows pre glazed or not? I had a bit of both so the windows that were not pre glazed you can fix through the frames and not bother with this these straps. I only put them on the sides. I had some really large windows so to ensure they did not bow I put some angle brackets on the inside at the bottom to keep the window securely fixed.

Edited by Pete
More information

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That’s a  better price. 

 

Mine are pre-glazed, so I need fixings for all of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now