SER certificate

Alexphd1

2 hours ago, Alexphd1 said:

Anybody know any structural engineers who have knowledge of insulated raft/icf and can issue a SER certificate?

Worth contacting one of the companies who do both for a recommendation (even if you need to suggest you're interested and looking for a SE to discuss your ideas)? 

• 1 year later...

I am doing a timber frame on a raft from MBC.

I just got a quote for the SER from my architect's preferred SE.

On their estimated build cost of £375k it was £1850 + £68.40 for the certificate, all plus VAT. This seems high to me for juts signing off.

They also quoted to design the drainage outside the house and liaise with Scottish Water re the connection. This was £1925+VAT. Again this seems very high to design drainage and a soakaway. 

Does anyone have any names they would recommend that I should try for alternative quotes? Probably best they are in Scotland considering that the SER is a Scottish BC thing and they would be dealing with Scottish Water.

19 minutes ago, AliG said:

I am doing a timber frame on a raft from MBC.

I just got a quote for the SER from my architect's preferred SE.

On their estimated build cost of £375k it was £1850 + £68.40 for the certificate, all plus VAT. This seems high to me for juts signing off.

They also quoted to design the drainage outside the house and liaise with Scottish Water re the connection. This was £1925+VAT. Again this seems very high to design drainage and a soakaway. 

Does anyone have any names they would recommend that I should try for alternative quotes? Probably best they are in Scotland considering that the SER is a Scottish BC thing and they would be dealing with Scottish Water.

I'll send you a couple of recommendations later - you'd be surprised at how much checking the SER engineer will do on the kit manufacturers info (11 pages on the last one I did!) 

drop me a message with who you're using and I'll remember to get back to you!

• Thanks 1

SER certificates in Scotland.

Here is some food for thought. Firstly you don't need an SER certificate to get a building warrant in Scotland even if there is structural work involved.

You can submit structural calculations along with your normal building warrant drawings. The argument is made that if you submit calculations (traditional method) it will cause a significant delay or it just can't be done. This is not the case. In fact, if you have a designer who regularly deals with Scotland BC then often it makes little difference. You do get a discount on the warrant fee but this is often offset by the level of information that is provided by the traditional route to get a warrant. To explain. A lot of self builder's don't employ their designer to supervise / manage the contract so a good comprehensive set of warrant drawings with a well written specification can really protect you at the build stage. This is one example of where you recoupe your perceived savings with an SER certificate.

An SER registered Engineer follows a checking / audit process. The calculations for say a raft foundation are prepared by one company, the kit is designed by another and so on. All these companies often have in house designers and this need to be paid for. The SER Engineer Ltd checks to ensure that for example the building is stable. Another function of the SER (Ltd) scheme is to check that all the elements of the design are coordinated so that the design is safe. Now you have lots of cooks!

Alternatively, you can employ someone who is not a member of the SER Ltd company (for example an Engineer based in Wales, France, England, even USA etc) submit calculations to Buildings control who will then check them. Scotland BC have no commercial interest and their role is primarily to ensure your safety and that of the public.

In terms of overall cost it's worth considering getting someone who can design your kit, produce the panel drawings, design your insulated raft, the other bits and coordinate this into a comprehensive work package. That will give you the best chance of a result without a cost overun and trying to herd lots of individual designers, checkers.. like chasing cats. You will end up with one point of contact on tap, on your side, and that is where you will start to make savings.

Oh, and Scottish Water.. yes this can take a bit of time, you need to do a bit of work now and again as if you are connecting to, or building over one of their assets. It's fair for them to make sure you are not doing something that will impact on them, but they are fair, reasonable and helpful.