UFH Manifold

Toppers

I am planning to install UFH heating to our kitchen extension, its a timber joist construction with insulation, its covering one room plus a small utility and WC the whole area is approx 23m2, the system is being connected to a conventional heating system, do I need a manifold or could it be controlled by a TRV?

You could use one of the kits from Wunda - they do a variety of them that are suitable for smaller spaces and attached to existing systems. The downside is unless you do some clever use of zone valves, they will only operate when the main house heating is switched on.

https://www.wundatrade.co.uk/shop/home/water-underfloor-heating-kits/small-area-kits-52m/single-loop-pumped-kit-joist-panels-2-x-channel/

31 minutes ago, PeterW said:

You could use one of the kits from Wunda - they do a variety of them that are suitable for smaller spaces and attached to existing systems. The downside is unless you do some clever use of zone valves, they will only operate when the main house heating is switched on.

https://www.wundatrade.co.uk/shop/home/water-underfloor-heating-kits/small-area-kits-52m/single-loop-pumped-kit-joist-panels-2-x-channel/

Thanks so to use it independantly I would need a manifold?

Toppers,

I would say yes you will need a manifold. The main reason is that as you are connecting to a conventional (dare I say legacy ?) heating system that is delivering hot water at high temperature (60C++), the manifold needs to have some way of bring that temperature down fo use in the UFH pipework which is usually designed to work at flow temperatures of around 35-45C. This is achieved by mixing the return flow from the UFH pipe with the incoming flow from the boiler and the mixer valve that does that work is usually incorporated in the manifold.

36 minutes ago, BotusBuild said:

Toppers,

I would say yes you will need a manifold. The main reason is that as you are connecting to a conventional (dare I say legacy ?) heating system that is delivering hot water at high temperature (60C++), the manifold needs to have some way of bring that temperature down fo use in the UFH pipework which is usually designed to work at flow temperatures of around 35-45C. This is achieved by mixing the return flow from the UFH pipe with the incoming flow from the boiler and the mixer valve that does that work is usually incorporated in the manifold.

Great stuff thank you, I was sort of hoping I wouldn't need one as I'll have to house it/box it in but if the system will work better with it then I don't mind.