Extractor not staying on (on lighting circuit)

Regarding using an isolator, what do I do about the earth?

I can park the earth from the junction box in the back box of the isolator, but what do I do about the earth conductor in the cable running from the isolator to the fan?

The wiring diagram on the isolator suggests earth from the switch is parked in the isolator, and earth from the supply goes to the fan, but the fan does not need earth.

8 minutes ago, gravelld said:

Regarding using an isolator, what do I do about the earth?

I can park the earth from the junction box in the back box of the isolator, but what do I do about the earth conductor in the cable running from the isolator to the fan?

The wiring diagram on the isolator suggests earth from the switch is parked in the isolator, and earth from the supply goes to the fan, but the fan does not need earth.

The fan likely doesn't need an earth but what happens if some muppet bangs a nail in or puts a screw through the CABLE supplying the fan???

Good to have the earth continuous from the supply, to the back box then onto and "park" at the fan.

On 29/05/2019 at 20:48, gravelld said:

Oh - both earths terminate in the same block in the isolator? Duh....

Yes. Feed comes into isolator and earth terminates. Cable that goes onto fan, its earth wire is connected to the same point in the isolator.

• Thanks 1